Fruits and Veges OK??

Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fruits and Veges OK??

I haven't been to Mexico for many years but remember back then we had to beware of eating fruits and vegetables or be willing to risk "Montezuma's Revenge". Is this still the case? I really don't want to get sick but I like to try great local food. Any other advice about foods to avoid or to enjoy? We'll be in Cabo for a week and will take a day trip to La Paz. A part of me would like to stop along the way and eat at some "local" cafes.

Thanks for the advice.

Bob
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM

I eat fruits & Vegetables with no ill effects throughout Mexico. I do soak in Dyro the fruits, Vegetables, Lettuce etc that I use at my private home.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Dyro? What is it?---some kind of vegetable wash?
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:25 AM

Some people seem to be able to tolerate the bacteria in Mexican produce, but not me! I would recommend not eating anything that hasn't been peeled.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I skip salads and raw vegetables, only eat veggies cooked. But I do eat salsa. I eat fruits that can be peeled (melons, papaya, pineapple, etc.) but not strawberries. For example. I drink bottled water, but do have fresh fruit juice.

Cabo and La Paz have great fresh local foods, especially seafood. You can still try plenty of local dishes without concern (and without eating raw vegetables).

I've gotten mildly sick elsewhere in Mexico, but had good luck in both places one trip each to Cabo and a different time to La Paz. No problems but I am careful.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:12 AM

Many, many of the veggies one finds in the local supermarket are grown in Mexico. Is one to think that simply importing them to the good ol' USA makes them safe? I think you WASH them and enjoy them.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:35 AM

daleb85, I think you're confused about the source of the bacteria which is the water that the fruits and vegetables are washed in.

No, I would not eat fresh, uncooked, unpeeled fruits and vegetables unless I was guaranteed that they were washed in purified water. I've been to Mexico many times and never gotten sick.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:39 AM

It's not the water lettuce is washed in, it's the soil it is grown in... what's in THAT water.

Produce being imported to the U.S. may well have been grown under different conditions than what you will find at an open air market in Mexico, for example.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM

There's a good reason you see big displays of bio-soak products in the produce section of all Mexican grocery stores.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM

I think you're mistaken, suze. I don't buy Mexican produce, but I've always been warned about eating salads in restaurants. The danger comes from washing the vegetables, and tap water is the main culprit. After all, don't you think the produce gets the soil washed off of it?
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM

Nope sorry I believe I could be correct, depending the circumstance. What I'm saying is IF ground water is contaminated what is INSIDE the vegetable or fruit is contaminated. And why things grown on trees are considered generally safer than what grows in the ground (carrots, lettuce, strawberries potentially more problematic).

Seriously, IF this was not an issue beyond washing the exterior, WHY does every grocery store have a big display of the bio-soak like people have mentioned and is commonly used by locals and visitors both.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 01:01 PM

I'm not familiar with bio-soak. But I would have a hard time believing that it extracts contaminants from the interior of the food. More likely, it's what people wash their fruits and veggies with to remove exterior dirt and to avoid contaminants from tap water.

I'm no botanist, but I don't think bacteria can be absorbed INTO produce from the soil. (That's what you're saying, right?) Even you have said the danger is with produce that isn't peeled. If that's the case, then the interior must be okay. Right?

And why do the restaurants in tourist regions bother to use purified water to wash their vegetables if the problem goes beyond the exterior and the water it's washed with?
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:35 PM

You win. Have a salad! Have some carrot juice!! Let me know how things work out ;-)
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:39 PM

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I've eaten many, many salads in Mexico--again, only when assured that it's washed in purified water--and never gotten sick.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM

No I wasn't being sarcastic. I also am certainly no scientist. But I have been sick quite a few times from food in Mexico, so I err on the side of caution.

What I attempted to explain is the way it was explained to me. That vegetables could be contaminated by contaminated ground water, but you're correct that an exterior soaking product would not rememdy that situation.

The soak I mention I see in every grocery store. I assume it's similar to when people do a soak with a few drops of bleach. So does that purify the fruits and veggies or the water they are being soaked in... now I am not sure.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks for clarifying. I do think it's for the water, though.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM

Not to be any more crude than necessary but it's not the soil or the water that is the problem. In Mexico it is every common practice to fertilize plants especially veggies with all available animal waste INCLUDING Human. That's where the real danger commons from. The various bio soaks solve this problem. If you eat in most Tourist areas in Mexico you should not have a problem. People get sick never having eaten a salad or a piece of fruit. Others such of myself who eat at every taco cart, wayside café & beach resturant for 23 years traveling the width/breath of Mexico never get sick.
I recently spent 3 weeks in Mexico eating salads almost every day both at home & out. I always use a "cleaner" at home. I eat tomatoes with every meal but always soak for at least 15 minutes.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM

Somewhat of an aside, but the times I have gotten sick on vacation in Mexico, the best I would trace it, was not from fruits or vegetables, rather bad food in restaurants.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Wow - Never thought I'd get such a wealth of responses! Most confusing! Guess I'll just bring some Hamburger Helper with me. (Seriously, thanks for the advice. We'll be careful about eating fresh fruits but try not to be totally paranoid.)
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Bob,
I have a different question for you, which I have posted online, but have not seen any responses yet. You mentioned that you were going from Cabo to La Paz. We are planning the same, but are not sure how we want to get from Cabo to La Paz. We have considered rental car, bus service, personal driver. The rental car provides the most freedom, but had heard a lot of concerns regarding if you get in an accident or get pulled over by the police. I also wasn't sure about the reliability of the cars down there. I know one time I rented a car in Mexico, it broke down after 20 miles. Thanks for our input.
Maureen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -