Search

Bug Bites in Jamaica

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bug Bites in Jamaica

I just returned from a trip to Jamaica. Yesterday on the flight home I noticed one of my legs was very itchy. I started to notice large, itchy, hot, hard bites on my legs. Today they are worse. The bites are swollen about 3-4 inches in diameter and are raised about an eight of an inch off the skin. They have a fairly good sized hole in the center where the bugs bit. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and if there is cause for concern?
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 03:14 PM

It could be sand fly bites, but it could be other things too, but regardless you should see a doctor promptly!
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Sounds like sand fleas got you...too early for sea lice (typically late April-June). Some react stronger than others. Always keep the OFF handy, especially during sundown. I also take Vitamin B Complex (SUPER B) on a daily basis and that seems to help me tremendously. You mentioned it being very windy...that usually keeps the bugs at bay...but the wind dies down at night. Plus, the new resort (only one in miles) with fresh skin for those local bugs is probably a smorgasboard to them!
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 03:25 PM

I have been dealing with this since we got back from the Palladium in Feb. My bumps started 2 weeks after we got home. Have seen 4 doctors and noboby can figure it out. I am on bump #8. Have you found any remedy?
Laura
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Countryflipflops, see if there is a travel medicine clinic in your area. You may need to go somewhere where they are more in-tune with tropical diseases.

Many of the regular US doctors just aren't familiar with this stuff - can't blame them, but they should suggest you see a tropical med doc.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 06:31 PM

nancysawyer & countryflipflops,
Agree with Jaya, take thee to a travel medicine clinic.
Probably only sand fleas but even they carry parasites- it's better to be seen sooner than later. I have also heard of botfly bites in the Caribbean though they are more common in Central & South America.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 06:35 PM

let's hope nancy has a diagnosis since OP was in march
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 10:57 AM

They are most likely sand fly bites, which are quite common. Like another poster said, people react differently. You must be one that doesn't react very well. My husband is just like that and it takes his bites about two weeks to go away once he is home. We have reduced the problems with using Mosquito Milk. I don't go to Jamaica so I don't know if you can purchase it there, but it has made all the difference in the world to my hubby. He only gets one to two bites now when on vacation as opposed to like fifty.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Most recent update. Found a travel clinic in Toronto with by chance one of only a handful of infectious disease doctors on site for the morning. Careful review of most recent outbreak ( number 8 in 7 months) is uncertain. Current area is 4 inches round with centre about the size of a golf ball raised. Solution, freeze the area and lance the infection to drain build up. 48 hours later and still draining but appearance improved. Samples sent out for testing but results may not show anything. Recovery on its way, resting now. Starting to think of spring time trip. ( not Jamaica this time though)
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 04:02 PM

4 inches in size!!! You poor thing. I'd be worried sick about what it was from. I'm glad you were able to find appropriate medical care. Let us know how your recovery goes.

And yes, I also would not go back to Jamaica so soon.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM

countryflipflops,
I am so glad you have been seen and are feeling better. Are they checking for MRSA? Those abscesses can be huge! Let us know when you find out more.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Sounds very painful, are you on antibiotics for the secondary infection? Keep us posted.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 05:57 AM

It's healing nicely, thanks to the antibiotics. Haven't received any results yet.
Thanks for everyones concern!
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 05:29 AM

OK what I want to know is WHAT ARE these bites I'm getting? They are ALL OVER the under side of my thighs and arms...on my neck...little bumpy bubbles of infection that itch like crazy and ooze when scratched. Dozens in one spot!!! Help !!! I'm in St. Lucia for a year. Definitely need help with this one. Is this a mosquito or a sand fly? I was on a beach last night...
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:58 AM

It sounds like sand fleas, but you should have them checked out by a doctor. It seems unlikely to me that you're getting mosquito bites only under your thighs and arms. This could also be some kind of mite infection like scabies, which is fairly communicable.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 07:01 AM

Laara, what you are describing does not sound like mosquitoes, but since you were on the beach it very like some kind of sand flea, etc.

Since you're there for a year, you should seek the advice of a goo local doctor.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:40 AM

*good
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM

I researched all day and found out what they are

no-see-ums !!!
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Unfortunately no-see-ums are a common problem in many of the islands. We usually douse ourselves with OFF before going out, especially at dusk, but when we don't, a day or two of applying Cortaid cream to the area and taking Benydyrl USUALLY does the trick Good luck!
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 01:04 AM

I returned from jamaica on thursday september 23, 2010 at 10pm and I noticed that I had multiple red bites on my legs and arms and I was very concerned. I went to methodist minor med and was given a shot of steroids immediately. I was also presrcibed an antibiotic, an acetonide cream, and an allergy medicine to treat these bites. This was a scary experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -