Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Clean planes? What next, on-time arrivals?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today's <i>Chicago Tribune</i> has a story saying that United and other carriers are putting a renewed focus on making sure their aircraft are clean. http://tinyurl.com/aoq7r6
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:57 AM

&gt;&gt;The main reason why United's planes lagged other carriers was because they were cleaned far less frequently than the industry standard, a practice the nation's third-largest carrier adopted during its bankruptcy, when it was conserving cash to survive.&lt;&lt;

Sometimes I think they had better gone completely out of business instead of being late, losing baggage and treating their customers like s**t.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 06:42 AM

I agree--last September, in Los Angeles, I saw an Italian customer being screamed at during check-in. She was so upset, she sat on the edge of the slot where you put your bags to be weighed and just cried and cried. And got long and loudly hollered at some more. Talk about customer service.

There was a young Italian couple in front of us who were frantic--they had returned after waiting in line the day before and then being told (rudely) that they were too late to check in for their flight. They had been waiting over three hours this time and still weren't to the front of the line. My husband and I were waiting right behind them but still had several hours before our flight left so weren't stressing. As time went by and it looked like they weren't going to get checked in by the deadline, each, individually, tried several times to get help from United staff and were told to get back in line. My husband finally took the young man and went up to a United staff person and insisted something be done. A few minutes later the Italian couple were running up the escalator on their way to the gate.

We felt embarrassed and ashamed at the way visitors to our country were being treated. You don't need to go out of the USA to meet the Ugly American--just fly United.

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 06:56 AM

You know, it must be a regional thing - because I've found the United personnel in the airports I've flown in and out of to be quite nice. I fly out of Dulles all the time, and they're really pretty friendly. Now, I have seen customers screaming at them - but I haven't seen the reverse.... I'm not saying it might not happen - but, I travel way too often, and I haven't seen it. The only time I've seen fairly aggressive behavior was actually with Air France (also at Dulles airport). I figured she was having a bad day....
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 06:48 PM

Ah...perception is truly in the eye of the beholder.