Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Family Reunion for Christmas 2009 -- Help us find somewhere WARM and BEACHFRONT!

Family Reunion for Christmas 2009 -- Help us find somewhere WARM and BEACHFRONT!

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need some advice!! My extended family is planning a Christmas vacation for 2009. We consist of active grandparents from the West Coast, son (with two kids ages 2&4), from West Coast, daughter (with two kids ages 7&5) from Montana, and daughter from London.

We were originally thinking Maui, but are now considering other options mostly because of the cost and minimum stay requirements of condos in Maui and the flight time from London. The condos we are looking at are $700/night and have a 10 night minimum, so I guess my dream budget is less than that!!

My other ideas for locations are Playa del Carmen/Tulum, Pacific Coast of Mexico and Florida (Sanibel Island or Keys were my ideas).

We are looking for a beachfront location (close enough for the kiddos to walk to), two separate condos/houses near each other (again walkable distance) so we can spread out, small town/area to walk to that would offer touristy window shopping and a place to get a treat. Other than that, we don't require much. We are looking to hang out at the beach and explore the natural surroundings (maybe hike/kayak, etc.). We have no need for an active nightlife or glorious restaurants. It would be great if the beach was kid-friendly and protected by a reef.

So, where would you go? Please send me your favorites!
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 07:30 PM

How about Roatán? Lots of rentals there, great snorkeling from shore, beautiful beaches, nice hiking close, a variety of restaurants or cook for yourselves. Here's a link to our friends' new condo for an idea:

http://www.roatanlifevacationrentals...9a73642c0baf88

I believe it's $1100/week and sleeps 6. There's a pool and it's easy walking distance to the beach and restaurants. I hope you'll post a trip report - have a great time, whatever you decide!
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Check out Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 07:43 AM

www.vrbo.com tone of options

www.calicojacksvillage.com

Placencia Belize nice

or

www.playamontezuma.net

Costa Rica nice

PDC will be very busy but nicebeach.

have fun,
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Sayulita, Mexico - low-key kid-friendly fishing/surf town discovered by American eco-tourists and bohemian chic Europeans, very low key, cool shopping and restaurants, 45 minutes from Puerto Vallarta.

We stayed in a pricy beachfront 5 bedroom, but there are more reasonable options. Check out vrbo.com for beach rentals.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM

I'd recommend Puerto Morelos on the Yucatan. It's not too touristy with awesome, reef protected beaches. The snorkeling is great and it's a nice walkable town. Christmas is very busy, but you're early enough to find a place that's a good fit.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 06:50 AM

Does it have to be in Mexico? If not, check out Buena Vista Villas in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. It's very popular with families, right on the water, nice national park full of wildlife, and good restaurants.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 07:31 PM
dar

Warm? Beachfront? How about Ixtapa or Huatulco? Or Neuvo Vallarta area? (Marival, RIU, etc.)
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 04:37 AM

Sayulita.

One of the villas at playa escondida.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 04:38 AM

www.playa-escondida.com