first-time user of VRBO: need some info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering renting through VRBO for the first time. Do you recommend taking advantage of the "HomeAway Rental Guarantee"? Any other tips?

Thanks.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
since vrbo is merely a listing site and not an agency, you are dealing w/ individual owners. Some are terrififc, most are good, but a few are crooks. So the vrbo Guarantee is absolutely essential IMO.

It is a relatively new feature -- w/i the last year, 18 months or so. I actually know someone who rented a flat listed on vrbo - only problem -- the flat didn't exist.

Don't let me scare you off - the vast majority of vrbo listings are totally legit - but the guarantee can protect you from the others.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 10:40 AM

I have used VRBO three times before and never a problem. Helps of course if someone else has stayed at the apartment and recommends it on this site or another travel site - then you can likely be assured that it's not a scam.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM

If you look at the reviews left by previous occupants, many have telephone numbers or e-mail addresses. If so, use that information to contact some of them and that way no guarantee will be needed.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:18 AM

I have used them twice with no problem. I think I might have considered the insurance to be safe if it had been available.

Also, as Lily says, try to find someone that has rented from that listing before. But it really is a long shot with all of the listings.

Good Luck.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:41 AM

VRBO has been great for me. When using it or any other site, a couple guiding principles are:
1. Look for complete descriptions - e.g., actual area (sq ft or sq m) rather than adjectives like "cozy (usually means tiny) or "spacious" (a relative term). Ask specifically about location in the building - i.e., what floor, and is there an elevator?
2. Get as close to actual street address as possible, not just the name of the neighborhood. In postings owners/agents are sometimes reluctant to post exact addresses but they should provide it on request. Look up the address using a map program like google.
3. Look for pictures of all rooms, not just descriptions. Sometimes the layout prevents taking a photo that shows the whole room, but omitting a photo of, for example, the bathroom, raises a red flag. Some sites restrict how many photos can be posted but you can ask the owner/agent to email additional.
4. Expect a security deposit to be required, and ask specifically about when and how it will be returned.
5. Ask about additional charges, such as a cleaning fee, key deposit or commission. Get a firm total before sending any payment.
6. Ask about arrangements for letting you into the apartment. Best to have a local contact for emergencies.
7. Pay by credit card if possible, but it is not always possible. Agencies usually are equipped to do so but not all individual owners are, though PayPal is becoming more common.
8. Do look at comments from former renters, paying attention to how recent they are. If there is contact info for someone who left a comment (email or phone) get in touch with them to ask about the place and their rental experience.
9. If it look and sounds too good to be true it probably is.
10. Understand that it may take a day or so to get a response to email or phone calls and don't forget about time zone differences.

It may be a bit off putting to consider all these things (and others) but it is just being reasonably prudent - don;t let it scare you away from considering a vacation rental.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Excellent info Seamus - very timely for me as I'm booking VRBO now for September.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Yes, good tips, Seamus. Many thanks.