Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the best Yellowstone guide book?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to buy one tomorrow. Has anyone used one that they thought was especially good? Thanks!

Holly
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM

We went to Yellowstone this summer for the first time. As usual before one of my trips, especially one I began planning over a year in advance, I bought way to many guidebooks.

There are 2 that I liked the best - the first is the Yellowstone Expedition Guide and it contains many photos, maps and both an audio cd as well as a dvd. The second is Yellowtone Treasures by Janet Chapple. This also contains a lot of great photos, maps and guides for drives within the parks and info based upon mileage.

I thought they were both fantastic. I don't know how to link to my previous posts but I did a trip report (VERY long) if it might be helpful. You can get to it by clicking on my screename.

Also, happy to answer any other questions.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Several years ago on this board, Yellowstone Treasures by Janet Chapple was recommended.

I don't know about other guidebooks, but this book is outstanding. Mine is dog-eared, highlighted, etc. Have used it on several trips. Haven't even considered another one, it's that good.

Happy travels!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Another vote for Yellowstone Treasures.

To be honest, there wasn't a single book that had everything I liked, and we have several. But I bought this one just recently, after making our first trip there. Some of the things we wished for are in this book.

When we were in the park, we ran across several other very good books in the shops (mostly history and stories about the park). I'm really sorry I didn't buy them, they are not readily available outside the park. But we're returning next September, and I will have a "book budget" (both $$ and luggage allowance) for them, you can count on that!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 05:08 PM

Frommer's has an excellent pocket guide to Yellowstone and the Grand Teton. We found it invaluable....and small enough to easily carry around!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, Fodorites! I'll check all of these out tomorrow. I'll probably be back later with more questions, too, but I have to do some research first. I've already read your trip report, lindsyb, along with some others. It was great, so thanks for that. I'm sure I'll read them all over again. I lurk more than I post, but I've learned so much that way.

Holly
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 03:32 AM

you can order a "set" of books, maps etc, from yellowstone bookstore online. you can find it on the nps website. It contained an Official Guide, a trail book, a waterproof map, and seems like one more item. I also bought the Yellowstone Expedition book, Moon, Lonely Planet. I used them all, and each was a little different. I normally only buy one book, I don't know why I went crazy for this one.