Bus from Santiago to Valparaiso - Help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (DH and I) are going to be staying at the Marriott in Santiago prior to our cruise. On Sunday morning we need to get to the cruise ship terminal in Valparaiso.

We are thinking of taking the bus and any information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Where in Santiago do we pick up the bus?

How much does it cost?

How long a trip is it?

At the other end - how far from the cruise ship terminal will we be? Can we walk or is it a taxi ride?

I speak some spanish - not fluent but I can express basic ideas and comprehend responses.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pamela
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:09 PM

we've driven Santiago to Valpo...it's about 120 kms (72 miles) each way..took us about an hour and fifteen minutes but a bus will porbably take a bit longer by the time it gets out of the city. The port is right in the city of Valp'o, and if the bus drops you at the station, it shold be a quick and inexpensive cab ride. I'd recommend going in the night before, and stay near the port..several hotels in town.

Neighboring Vina del Mar is adjacent to Valpo, and there are many decent hotel choices there, too.

Have a fun trip..vaya con dios!

Stu T.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:34 PM

The Marriott is not particularly well placed for getting to the bus as it is not near a metro station. There will be slightly fewer buses to Valparaiso on Sundays. You would have to get to the Turbus/Pullman bus station at the Universidad de Santiago metro stop on line 1, or to the Pajaritos station further out where there are other companies. Bus stations are not the safest places, especially on weekends, and you will have to watch your luggage carefully. The intercity bus is about $US7 and the taxi should be about US$10. You would have to add the cost of getting to the metro or bus station in Santiago.
Although this is an economical way to get to Valparaiso, I would never recommend it for tourists with luggage. A transfer from Santiago to the port costs somewhere in the region of US$120 for up to 4 people for the 1.5 hour trip but is well worth the money.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Both Royal Caribbean and Norweigian run a bus directly from the Mariott to the dock on the Sunday morning of sailings. Check with your travel agent for a transfer directly from your cruise line. It's worth it.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM

If you are taking the Feb. 15th Norwegian Cruise out of Valpariaso, we are on the same ship and looking for transportation. We booked our own air so not really sure if we can get a transfer from the ship to the port.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 07:12 AM

Pamela,

We will also be staying at the Mariott and going on a cruise.
We leave on Jan 20th on the Infinity. If you want to share a Van with us please respond. My e-mail is [email protected] or my husband at [email protected]. Hope this works out!!!
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 10:41 AM

A bus from Santiago to Valparaiso is about 1 hour and a half and costs around $6 US.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 05:43 AM

Also, you can take the bus in the Terminal de Buses (to get there you have to take the subway, Line 1, and go to Metro Universidad de Santiago, that's where the terminal is located)or in the subway station Metro Pajaritos.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 12:41 AM

Hi cruisers out there.
I would like some help in getting to Santiago airport from Valparasio cruise port.
Which is the best way of doing it as our ship docks at 5am. Time allowance for customs and getting to airport 4hours??. Also do we need a visa if we are on transit ship to airport?
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 02:55 PM

You can take a taxi to the Valpo bus station, take the bus to Santiago bus station, taxi/shuttle bus to the airport.

Or arrange the transfer with either the cruise line or a private company.

Your visa situation depends on your nationality. USA, no. You also don't have to pay the reciprocity fee since you aren't flying into Chile.

Google it online.