Trip Report from Family Adventure in Peru-Amazon, Sacred Valley/MP/Cusco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our California family with three kids, 16, 13, 11 just finished a great trip to Peru. We have had the fortune to visit many places on this lovely planet and Peru is right up there at the top of our list (scenery at MP is number one!). Our photos are pretty detailed and posted on

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...0IctGrNo0ZMnYA

You can see the comments by hitting slide show, pausing, and then going into options and clicking comments. It helps to see the comments as you go.

Our itinerary was;

Day 1/2 SFO/Mia/Lima/Cusco/Puerto Maldonado where we ended up at the Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica (see trip advisor for our reviews on all hotels listed here). Long day but we avoided an overnight in Lima which allowed us an extra day in the Amazon. Good trade off for us but others might not find it so.
Day 3/6 Amazonica. Great property; excellent food, lots of activities, friendly staff. Went caiman spotting, hiked the canopy tour, Piranha fishing, canoing on Lake Sandoval, hiked up (and then canoed down) Gambiatana Creek. Lots of activities and lots to see. Hot, hot during the day. Some mosquitos but not too bad. Only had rain one short spell. Highly recommend.

Day 7/8 Sacred Valley. Flew from Puerto Maldonado to Cusco and took a well done SAS tour from the airport to Ollantaytambo stopping at a Llama farm (fun), the Pisac market (interesting) and the Pisac ruins (great). Youngest had some altitude symptoms but slept them off and everyone was fine from there. Ended up late at the Hotel Pakaritampu. Very nice property with gorgeous grounds nestled in the mountains. Highly recommend. Went mountain biking and toured locally. Liked the town a lot.

Day 9/10 MP/Aguas Caliente
We did the 'two day' hike through SAS which is actually a one full day hike up a challenging but doable trail. You end up at a lunch spot where the 'two day' trail merges with the four day trail where you then hike into MP through the sun gate. Stunning is the only word to describe the view from sun gate. You actually don't enter the MP grounds proper that afternoon but you don't really know the difference as you spend a couple of hours hiking amongst llamas on the outskirts of MP or just staring at the incredible scenery. After day one, you take the bus ride down to Aguas where we stayed in the high end Sumaq. Day two is a bus ride up to MP where you arrive for the sunrise and spend the morning entering the actual MP property for a guided tour. Huayna Picchu was the highlight of the trip for my wife and three kids. My deep fear of heights kept me from going. Well worth it so getting there early insures you can get on one of the two timeslots. I can't speak of the four day hike but did talk to a lot of people on the trail who were mostly positive but it is very physically challenging given the altitude and duration. I would do the two day again in a heartbeat. We are all fit and the hike was a challenge but doable. For people who are hard core it might easy and for those that aren't in shape might be real trouble.

Day 11/13 Cusco
Took the vistadome train back to Cusco which was enjoyable as we played cards and drank some rapidly warming beer. Stayed at the SAS owned Hotel Marquesas which is a good choice. Loved Cusco as a town. Beautiful, colorful, fun, lots of activities...we ATVed through town and up the mountain side to an ATV course which was fun. We did grow a bit tired of the typical Peruvian menu so hit the McDonalds, Jack's cafe and the mexican restaurant. All in all, a great way to end the trip.

Feel free to email [email protected]
with questions.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 12:13 AM

Great report davez. But the link to your photos does not seem to work (at least for me)
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 03:35 AM

Thanks for the post - enjoyed the virtual trip through your photos.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 03:37 AM

It worked for me. Beautiful trip, beautiful family - thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 04:57 AM

hi Dave--- Thanks for posting the link to your photos; I like the pics of your kids swinging into the river/creek the best. Looks like a very good time.

I hope you'll consider submitting a photo to our current "Show Us Your Costa Rica" contest!

http://www.fodors.com/contest/costa-rica/
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Hi Dave:

Did you go through SAS for all of your travel arrangements? I looked up their website and have decided that the two day hike to MP is just perfect. Thanks for the report. Barb
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM

davez

we have been discussing a trip to peru as well. we have children 12 & 14. did you take anti malarials for the amazon portion of the trip and if so, which one?

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

wego,
sorry for the late reply. We did not use anti malaria pills. The Inkaterra people report that they have never had an incident although they may not always know what happens with guests when they leave. I know this is controversial with some, but we just don't like the cost and side effects. We took them for a Kenya safari; it was during the dry season and didn't see a mosquito the entire trip. There are mosquitos, for sure, but nothing like MP.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Babs,
We used SAS for the MP hike, the Sacred Valley tour/transfer from Cusco airport, and the Hotel Marquesas in Cusco. Class outfit who we would use again.
Dave
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Great Pics! Where did you do the bike and ATV tour and what company did you use?
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Hi davez

I am in Peru planning stages now. Would you please tell me a bit more about the SAS bicycle ride? I looked them up and am interested but the site does not give a lot of details. Do you have time to stop and check out Chincheros, Laguna de Huaypo, Moray, Maras-Salineras and Urubamba or is it just a quick view and you bicycle past? How many folks were with you? Was there a guide or just a map? Do they pick you up at the hotel? Thanks Barb