Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

NYC to Thailand for 7 days worth the trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a 1-year anniversary trip this March, and we calculated that after travel from New York, we would get 7 days to spend in Thailand. We would like to see Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket. Is this enough time?
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Absolutely not.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 08:57 PM

Gloria is so right.

I would wonder if it was worth it to go to just one location in that time since you'll have jetlag and lots of hours on the plane. I live in Seattle, and I've gone to Asia several times for just a week.

If you really want to go, choose one place (Bangkok) for your week. If you want to visit three places you need two weeks.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:04 AM

I posted a similar inquiry on the board about a year ago, and got spot on advice. In short, 7 days is short - unless you go to one destination and you are Ok with the long flights to get there. If so, you could just do BKK for the 7 days. We loved the city and, because of the weather and the outstanding hotels there, most with some beautiful pools, you really can have a mini-vacation there. Plus, outstanding food and shopping and world-class sights to see.

If you can add a couple more days then you can add another city for sure. We had about ten days total in Thailand and it was great. We flew JFK straight to Phuket, which seemed to make sense, since once we were traveling we just kept going on through. Never had to touch our luggage until the final destination. You could do similarly, I believe, and keep heading to Chiang Mai. Then, visit BKK on your return. And, because most flts leave BKK very late at night, you do have that additional day in BKK. Frankly, all things considered, as long as you are Ok, with the long flight for just a week or so, then go do it. Thailand is such an incredible experience that the flight time issue pales in comparison. And, with the cost of flights nowadays to many places, and the cost of the Euro and such, if you can get a good priced flight to Thailand you can spend less than traveling some place closer. Look a the Thain non-stop from JFK. Its a great flight. Have fun.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:05 AM

i agree with all of the above...i would limit my trip to bkk only....i would choose an hotel with a fantastic pool so this would answer your need for a beach experience....the following hotels come immediately to mind:

mid-range---marriott resort and spa, royal orchid sheraton, mill. hilton, shangri-la, nei-lert, sheraton grande

lux---peninsula

you will not miss all that much by not going to chiang mai imo....

i would take the thai air flt from jfk direct, non-stop
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Bangkok, Chiang Mai OR Phuket is clearly do-able if you have seven days on the ground.....have done it many times. BUT only one destination.
Traveling in March...and it's your anniversary...forget the other two, and head for Phuket.
Others will say Phuket could be any beach destination in the world. RUBBISH, I say!!! South Thailand is quite unique and well worth the effort to visit.
Jetlag will not be a problem on the way out. But it may well take some time to recover when you return home.
But you will never forget The Andaman Sea!!!!
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM

For seven days, do one location. We suggest Bangkok. If you stay at a hotel recommended by RhkKmk, it will be an oasis from the freneticism that is BKK. You will be able to venture out and have a comfortable base of operations. Phuket is a nice beach, but no better than the Caribbean.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 09:29 AM

The Caribbean bears zero resemblance to the Andaman Sea. They both have unique and endearing aspects....BUT are VERY different. However,the Carribean does not draw me back again and again.......I live in London, the OP lives in New York..something in common? When I have time to spare, yes, I like Bangkok in short doses...and very quickly I want to 'get the hell out out of there' so with only seven days, it has to be either Chiang Mai or Phuket.
On the other hand...if you want to travel thousands of miles to go shopping for jewellery, experience inner city smog at its best, and generally feel the vibes you would in New York or London.....then, select Bangkok.

What kind of break do really want?

Whatever you choose,...enjoy Thailand....it's a wonderful country.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM

as you can see, there are two very different opinions of a thai experience...

bkk is a sheer delight!! as panda suggests certain hotels can be a real oasis in the city....that is the primary reason we return over and over to the peninsula and especially to the marriott....

phuket on the other hand, imo, is blah.....the beaches are only so so...i hate pools, but the thai pools suit me better....i am a seaside guy, but other than the ocean view, the beaches do nothing for me...plus in some places there are polution situations to be aware of....
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Just a little taste of Phuket and surrounding area... click below!!!

http://good-times.webshots.com/slide...61876983YWhkjp
No pollution in any of my numerous visits.
And after several visits to the carribean.....can't remember anything quite like this!

http://good-times.webshots.com/slide...61876983YWhkjp
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 02:34 PM

I'd say go for it! My husband and I are from New York and went to Thailand/Cambodia for a week in the spring (Phuket, Siem Reap and Bangkok over 8 nights), and while we certainly would have loved more time, it didn't feel too short to be a relaxing vacation. Thai Air from JFK was fabulous and so easy. Bangkok is an amazing city, but if you're coming from NY, you should definitely get to one or two other places outside the city while in Thailand. We stayed at the JW Marriott and Amanpuri in Phuket and Peninsula in Bangkok. Had such a great time that we're headed to Bali for 7 nights later this month. With the dollar as it is, we just can't get excited about places closer to home.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. We have extended our time there by a day and a half and are planning on seeing the aforementioned 3 places. Although we would love to spend many more days there, we got a good deal on airfare and if we don't go now it may be a very long time before we'll get the chance again. No doubt I will be scouring the boards as usual for the great advice always posted!
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM

what deal on airfare did you get??
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 10:25 PM

Hi

Three places in 7 days sounds way too much to me but everything is possible. I would go for 1 place or possibly 2. It is a long way to go for only 7 days .

But Bangkok is pretty amazing so you could also just stay there for a week...stay at a nice hotel, do some sightseeing, eat some great Thai food etc

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:36 AM

If you're going to all three places, try to get air reservations that will maximize your time. If you're taking the Thai Air flight from JFK-BKK, one way to do this is to go direct to Phuket on the evening flight. We did this and it's easy and essentially saves a 1/2 day of travel.

If you're not taking the Thai Air JFK-BKK flight, it's likely that you will be getting in around midnight. If this is the case, then you should look into the Chiang Mai-Phuket direct flight on Thai Air. This will avoid a transfer through BKK.

Don't worry too much. You'll have a great time. Happy Anniversary.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

We got economy seats on Cathay Pacific, JFK to BKK via HKG for ~$800/ticket. We were looking into flying Air Asia between BKK and Phuket/Chiang Mai, but will check out Thai Air to go between Chiang Mai and Phuket - thanks!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:00 AM
Jed

I'm sure we would all appreciate a short report after you return on how your trip worked out.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM

Two weeks is better than one week. But one week is better than nothing

From Phuket. Many tour companies organize one-day trips to Phi Phi Islands.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM

I strongly urge you to go to one place and no more than 2 in one week. Otherwise your most vivid memory will be airports and the ride to the airport.