Another Paris stay question.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Paris for 5 nights September 14, 2008. I had chosen Hotel Londres Saint Honore in the 1rst. district but now I hear that an aparment would be more cost efficient. I also heard that Rue Claire is the place to stay. I would like opinions, should we stick to the hotel or can anyone recommend an inexpensive apartment for (2) on Rue Claire.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Isn't Rue Claire Rick Steve's favorite street? Personally, we found many equally enchanting areas.

Go for an apartment if you are there for 5 days and don't need the hand-holding a hotel will give you. Remember in an apartment you are typically on your own. We stayed in a nicely priced apartment for 11 nights, but it is nowhere near where you think you want to be.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:03 AM

By the way, if it is the Rick Steve's recommendation you are thinking about, it is Rue Cler, not Claire.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:03 AM

I am being just a bit picky, but it might help if you search for the correct spelling, Rue Cler.

In any event, I'd prefer to stay in the 1st. You'd be not too far from Rue Montorgueil (I haven't checked your exact distance), which is a superb street for the same reasons that Rue Cler is supposed to be good, but I have the feeling Rue Montorgueil is better.

Nonetheless, the 7th does seem more popular than the 1st, so it's a matter of taste.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The 1st arrondissement is much better. Nuff sed.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:08 AM

"Go for an apartment if you are there for 5 days and don't need the hand-holding a hotel will give you"
Good advice julies

I think the same standard can be applied to aras... do you prefer living in "more residential" areas where people live and work or do you like to be among tourists from your own country? Nothing wrong with either choice, just begets different responses
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:11 AM

If you got that idea from Rick Steves (which I'm sure you did), and like his books, then I imagine staying near Rue Cler will suit you fine. The other area would be good, too, of course.

I can't recall the details, but I definitely remember some folks talking about a studio apt. they rented right on rue Cler. I am pretty sure it was on VRBO, why don't you check there. Here is one, for example, which looks pretty good I think
http://www.vrbo.com/16467

It even has AC which is hard to find, not that I'd personally worry about that in September. The rate seems good to me, around 800 euro a week. It is filling up already for next fall, but seems available right now on your dates. YOu cannot delay on booking accommodations for Sept in Paris for best choice, though, it is a very popular and busy period.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Since you are comparing the 1st the 7th, part of the answer will be do you want to be very central (1st, walk to many sites) or somewhat less central with longer walks and Metro. The 7th will be quieter than the 1st and more residential. So, appartment is a fine idea, but there are many fine areas that a bit of digging here will help you decide. You may also find that comparable apparts may be cheaper as you go less central.

There are MANY threads here on Rue Cler and Monsieur Steves. It is...a subject which elicits many opinions.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Actually it's a girl at my work that rented an apartment above a store on Rue Cler (corrected spelling)and said it was cool living like the French. She cannot remember where she found the web site.

If you're of different opinions I will certainly take them into consideration. To be very honest, at the moment, the only reason I'm looking into renting an apartment is the $$$. If I could find something small and quaint that's centrally located for a good price it would be great. So, if anyone has stayed somewhere like that I'd appreciate knowing where. I would like to stay around 100 euros per night if possible.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Have you checked out these appartments? They seem really nice and some are in your price range : http://www.rentparis.com
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 11:36 AM

When you're pricing apartments vs. hotels, be sure to factor in any additional fees (cleaning, deposits, etc) besides just the per-night rate.

You will have a bit more hassle renting an apartment with deposits, payment on arrival, meeting someone for the keys, how to work the appliances after the greeter has left you on your own, etc. If you are a 'people person' it might feel a bit isolating for you. The French in your building will not be your new best friends. You will need to really look at the furniture and amenities to ensure everyone's comfort vs the expense. (are there enough chairs for sitting, is the sofabed going to be comfortable....)

On the other hand, very inexpensive hotels often don't do much 'hand-holding' as there isn't a concierge to do a lot of advising and booking for you, but there is at least a human to greet you and assist you if you have any difficulties.

I think apartments are good for families (easier to get cranky children a snack and a nap, hey that goes for teens, too)... maybe frequent visitors who know how to get around, have gotten Paris 'under the belt'... folks who <i>really</i> like to cook so need a kitchen... I don't think it should be assumed that an apartment is going to 'save money'.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 11:47 AM

I agree that an apartment isn't always going to be cheaper than a hotel, particularly if you are staying less than 7 nights.

If you want to be near Rue Cler (although there are plenty of better places to stay imho, especially for a first timer), the Hotel Champ du Mars has doubles for 90E/nt and it's just off Rue Cler.

www.hotel-du-champ-de-mars.com
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 12:11 PM

This is nowhere near where you are looking, but we found the apartment to be perfect for us. It is cheaper because is is a block into the 12th rather than in the more trendy and expensive 4th. Current price is E550 a week. We would stay here again if we return to Paris. For the most, part we walked everywhere, usuing the metro only ocassionally. the metro accessibility is also something you want to think about when you look for a location that suits you.

http://www.vrbo.com/43745
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Most people don't understand how compact and easy to navigate Paris is, so they always want what they think are 'convenient' locations. Return visitors know at least that one is almost never more than 10 minutes away from major places, which can save up to 50% off hotel or apartment rates.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 01:05 AM

Hotels in the 7th are in demand in September as there are lots of fashion events on and there is a big influx of visitors, models etc related to this. That said, booking this far ahead should present no problems. You don't say if this is your first trip, or whether you speak French? A good 2 or a 3 star hotel can make life much easier for first time visitors especially when it's such a short stay. (For instance, do you know how to ring for a doctor if you are ill?)
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 07:37 AM

You have gotten a lot of good advice.

We have rented apartments in Paris a number of times, so we obviously like doing that, but I have a few things for you to think about,

Will you be able to rent an apartment for five nights? We have never found one for less than a week at a popular time like September. Of course, you can pay for a week and leave early but that costs.

Five days isn't all that long, especially if one is an arrival day and the other your departure day. With an apartment, you should expect that getting the key and getting in and then giving the key back and getting out can take some time, especially if cleaning is involved, whereas a hotel is much quicker. It may be easy in an apartment, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Old Dec 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Hi, Suze.

I agree, you've gotten good advice here.

My love of Rue Cler began long before Steves discovered it. I began with Hotel Champ du Mars in the early 90's, and most recently, I rented an apartment on this charming street in November of 2006 for 16 nights (http://tinyurl.com/37vdj4).

Despite its increasing inundation with Americans, it retains its quintessential French character and is a delightful base.

I agree with Ackislander that for only 5 nights, you're better off in a hotel. Most apartments rent for full weeks anyway. I would recommend the Champ du Mars hotel if you can get in, or another nearby. It's a lovely spot to return to after long days of exploring, and, as others have said, with the ease of Paris travel on metro, neighborhood isn't all that important re: 'centrality'. Rue Cler has an easy metro stop.

You can see a small gallery of photos of a delightful rue Cler Sunday morning
here: http://tinyurl.com/2vr9bt.

Good luck, book early, and have fun!

Karen
http://www.pbase.com/karenmickleson/root

Old Dec 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Rue Cler is way out in the 7th. I prefer somewhere much more central, like Latin Quarter/5th or Marais/4th or St Germaine/6th.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 09:57 PM

We leave Xmas morning to stay for the 3rd straight time at the darling Hotel Relais Bosquet, just 1 block from Rue Cler. We've never stayed anywhere else because we fell in love with their large sunny room and huge bathroom, and the unbelievable quiet of this location. Friends stayed in the 5th once and complained mightily about the noise so we've never been willing to give up our beloved room to try another location. When we're in the center of the city, it doesn't bother us at all having to take the Metro back &quot;home&quot; to the Ecole Militaire stop --- we just consider it a time to unwind and people-watch. In fact, we rather enjoy traveling home with commuters, getting off at our stop and pretending to be locals! Ha! Not that we're ever going to be mistaken for Parisians, but seeing them as they stop at the downstairs boulangerie for baguettes and then walking up Ave Bosquet towards their beautiful apartments is fun, too! Rue Cler is charming, but not what I'd call a must-see. When I first walked the full extent, which is really only one American block, I thought &quot;what's the big deal&quot;. I do love the location of the little grocery store, though, where we buy wine for 1-2 euros. Also, the Hotel Champ de Mars is next door and from the outside looks just fine. I keep hearing about it so someday we should stay there just to compare, but for now, you couldn't pry us away from our &quot;sure thing&quot;. And P.S. My husband would not be comfortable in an apt --- just not his thing.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 01:01 AM

We stayed 3 weeks ago in an apartment in the 7th.We had been several times in Paris and this was our first in an apartment. Now I wouldnt do it any other way. With regards to getting the key/getting in..took ten minutes and when we left,the key was left on the table.We did leave everything as we found it though. We ate our breakfast in,packed our lunches and spent our money in art galleries,museums and good food. We loved returning to our &quot;home&quot; and watching the surrounds of &quot;our&quot; neighbourhood.An apartment will always be the winner for us,in any city.Our stop was Ecole Militaire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -