Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Boston, want a great restaurant in the city.. we always go to the same ones.. can someone suggest alternatives?

Search

Going to Boston, want a great restaurant in the city.. we always go to the same ones.. can someone suggest alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there.

We always go to DAVIO'S and Papparazzi's in Boston.. we will be staying right by the Boston Commons, and we want to try a couple of different restaurants which have excellent service and excellent food. Someone once told me about a great Italian Restaurant on Washington Street - I thought it started with an "A".. they said it was wonderful, with all ornate wood inside, painted white? But I can't seem to find anything on it online. I thought "Stella" could have been it.. but their interior doesn't sound like the one I'm thinking about. Looking on "city seach", a lot of the reviews are quite spotty, and nothing looks totally fantastic. We'd prefer a place where we don't have to get dressed up fancy... and we'd love to be able to walk if we could. If you've ever been to Davio's there, my husband likes it because it's roomy and upbeat, but not too too noisy, and Papparazi's food and salads are always consistently good. If you have restaurants which might be somewhat like these, or if there's a couple you know to be excellent, please, send them on! Oh, the other thing.. we need one that TAKES reservations! I looked at Bricco, Piccolo Nido, Artu, Limoncello and Stella online but like I said, the reviews weren't all glowing so I'm passing them up for now. Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Most restaurants in the North End take reservations. Try Lucca, Maurizios, Dolce Vita or Tresca, they are all very good.

Could you be thinking of Sorellina? I haven't been but everyone I know raves about it.

You might venture over to the South End, probably about a 15 minute walk from the Common. I like 28 Degrees, Sibling Rivalry, Rocca and Union. Hamersly's Bistro and Aquitane are also very nice.

Go to opentable.com and plug in your preferred reservation time and neighborhood. You'll see what's available and be able to check out the menus as well. I usually start with this myself as it's always a good way to generate ideas.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 10:12 AM
kealalani

I love Via Matta and Teatro. The staff are so well trained!

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM

could Avila be the restaurant you are thinking of? I haven't been there, but maybe?

If you are staying right by the Common, perhaps you would like to try Excelsior or #9 Park. Both are very upscale (and pricey) but excellent food and service. Was Italian what you had in mind? I like Via Matta which Kealani mentioned.

I don't think there are very many restaurants in the Boston area where you have to get dressed up fancy (that is no ties are required), although I would probably dress a little nicer for those first 2...no jeans.

Another great place in easy walking distance would be Trouquet. They have an interesting menu with an emphasis on wine pairings.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 08:18 PM

Avila is on One Charles St, very close to the Common and is owned by the same people who own Davio's, so that may be why someone recommended it to you, if it is the same "A" restaurant -
Avila focuses on food 'around the mediterranean' so they will have choices from a group of countries, not just italian -

We have eaten there several times and never been disappointed in the food or service and it is nice to have a drink at the bar first (they are on open table)

All of the other restaurants mentioned by Wyatt we frequent often so obviously I second those recs - actually, all the restaurants so far mentioned I agree are great recs -

We also like Davio's - and Papparazzi - although the later is a tad different, being a chain - an excellent one - we have never been disappointed at any of the locations - but the food is not, to me, the same as say Sorrelina's or most of the others mentioned

You could also add Sage to this list, which used to be in the NOrth End and is now in the South End -

In the North End we recenetly had good meals at Bacco , Piccolo and Rabias.

As with anything, one persons great experience at a restaurant isn't necessarily the same for everyone - however, most of the restaurants mentioned get continually good reviews, and have been around for a long, long time - and that is usually for a reason -

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM
kealalani

Perhaps the phantom restaurant was Appetito not washington but in the hood

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 08:28 PM
kealalani

Oh and I too had a wonderful experience at Becco. But can't get the 'truffled egg ravioli' at Prezza off my mind!!!!!

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 10:42 PM

On the recomendation of GPanda , my husband and daughter went to Limoncello while I was at the Boston GTG this October.

Both say it was one of their best meals ever, and my DH wants to go back to Boston just to eat there again!
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Masa on Appleton and Tremont.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 06:33 AM

I've been to Limoncello and it was very good. Also have enjoyed Terramia on Salem St. in the North End very much.

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Limoncello is good. My fave in North End is Monica's on Richmond St.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM

kealani - I thought Appetito used to be where Masa/28 Degrees is - I thought they closed - did they move? If so , pls share ! I loved their pasta with cream sauce/sundried tomato/chicken etc, etc dish -
and now you make me want Prezzo b/c the truffled egg ravioli sounds too incredible... I ahven't been there in a long time -
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Great article on dining in Boston
at this site
http://www.crshotels.com/view_article.asp?ArticleId=139
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
TahitiTams

We just had drinks and app's at the famous Locke-Ober in downtown Boston and we didn't dress up and others seemed to be smart casual but this is a wonderful place!

lockeober.com

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM

When I was there in September, I had great dinners at BarLola on Comm Ave. and at Giacomo's (I think they have two locations.) Reviewed them here, if you search on my screen name, it should pop up.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:01 PM

My all-time favorite restaurant in Boston is Hammerslys (and I have been to all mentioned above in the last 20 years). The garlic chicken is their signature dish and to die for. Seriously, you have never in your life tasted anything so fabulous. Gordon Hammersly could have been a huge celebrity chef and open tons of random restaurants like fellow Boston chef Todd English, but he has focused on fabulous food in one location in the South End of Boston. It is only a five minute cab ride from where you will be staying. Reservations mandatory. This place gets packed, but the service is immpecable and you never feel rushed.

Hammersley's bistro: http://www.hamersleysbistro.com/
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 06:47 PM
kealalani

Any other favorite dishes at Hammersley's? I've had the chicken, so when I return I'd like to try something else. Any standouts - it the fall menu still on? Thanks

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 07:15 PM

kealalani: When we were at Hamersleys a few weeks ago (I had the chicken- which is also what I usually have) but my husband once again got the cassoulet which he absolutely raves about every time if you've never tried that dish- and our friends had fish (husband not home now but he might remember what kind, halibut maybe....) everyone raved as always - I did for the first time have the roasted pear and endive salad over the wedge and it was wonderful.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Another vote for Hammersleys Bistro.. one of my favorites (rack of lamb was amazing!) Love Assagios in the north end (Italian), Sonsie's on Newbury, 75 Chestnut in Beacon hill, if you like fondue, there's a cute little place on Mass Ave just next to Newbury (few blocks down) called the Wine Cellar, or something like that. Tremont has some great places too, in the south end (near Hammersleys).. Perdix is good, and there's a few others that I'd been to.. never hit a bad one.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM
kealalani

Thanks escargot. Really don't know why we haven't returned. Definately due time

May I say i am loving the garlic flowing thru me from shrimp scampi at Giaccamos. Very fun, they were doing a fundraiser with pediatricians acting as busboys. Left them a worthy tip, and love this place for casual neighborhood italian....although we now know most of the staff, so lots of olive oil and family will make the rec.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -