Florida Keys Help

Old Nov 20th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Keys Help

Considering a mid-March trip to the Keys. do I want to go to Key West, Key Largo, Biscayne? I would probably go to Everglades while there as well. Just sitting around relaxing isn't my idea for a good time. Would be traveling as a family with a 13 year old. What can I expect for water temps, and snorkeling at that time of year. I normally do a ton of reading before I would pose a question on a forum, but I haven't read much at all on the Keys yet. Thanks
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Would be there on a weekend for 4 days. Again, thanks
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Try posting on tripadvisor.com. Its a very active Keys forum.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 05:00 AM

Key West will have the most to do. Water temps. in the low-70s +or-
These are chilly water temps for snorkeling where you aren't moving around a lot. Partial wet suit would be good. Beaches on the Keys typically small and man-made, with no meaningful snorkeling. The coral reefs, with very good snorkeling & diving, are 5-6 miles offshore, reached by tour boats.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:10 AM

The water would be warm enough for snorkel trips. You will need to go out on a boat as the reef is several miles off shore.
Look for lodging in the Islamorada area. YOu can take day trips from there. But spend at least one night in KW so you can participate in the sunset celebrations and have dinner there.
There's kayaking in the Keys - one of the easiest way for tourists to do this is to rent kayaks at Robbie in Islamorada. Bring a soft sided cooler (or buy one at the local drug stores) and take a picnic to Indian Key - about a 30 min paddle off shore.
Joy Williams has a great Keys guide book.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:40 AM

The two trips I've been doing every vacation in Key West are the Danger Charters and the Sebago Island T'ing. Both are roughly from 10:00 -4:00, provide breakfast, a snorkel stop, lunch, a kayak paddle around a mangrove island, then drinks on the way back to Key West. Danger is on a small sailing ship; Sebago on a larger catamaran, but both limit the number of passengers, 20 and 40, respectively. The nice thing is that Sebago will usually go to Sand Key and Danger goes to Cotrell Key, two of the nicest places to snorkel. You will usually see rays at the latter. If you have time, I'd suggest one of these.

Pjk
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:38 AM

Excellent fishing is available by charter from KW, Marathon or Islamorada. Snorkeling from Pennekamp State Park in Largo is very popular. Everglades are typically visited from W of Miami and not from the Keys.

Selecting your hotel should depend on where you are arriving. If you are flying into KW, I would stay in KW for two nights. If you are flying into MIA or FLL; I would stay in Islamorada for two nights and KW for one night.

One day you should make your drive through the keys leisurely stopping for lunch at any of many great casual waterfront restaurants. Walk the pedestrian bridges. Check out some of the matinas as the fisherman are coming or going: Bud n Mary's or Whale Harbor or KW City Docks.