Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

CR- Activities in Arenal, MA and Monteverde

Search

CR- Activities in Arenal, MA and Monteverde

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with VG to bring some American dollars, nothing higher than $20s (if you don't spend all your paper money -- colones -- you can change it back, but you can't change coins).

Personally, I never bother with traveler's checks... I rely heavily on my credit cards. I think I pay for almost everything with my credit cards. But here's a good tip: call Visa, Mastercard (etc.) and let them know you'll be traveling to CR and what dates. I do this whenever I'm leaving the country, 'cause they post it on your account so they don't flag a charge you try to make as fraud! Also, it's best to bring more than one credit card with you in case one gets declined.

Here's a handy way to figure out what you're spending (IF you want to know!) I'm terrible with math, so I go to the following site and print out a little conversion chart (colones to dollars), which I keep in my wallet:

http://oanda.com/convert/classic

Scroll to Costa Rican Colones on the left column, and US Dollars on the right, and hit "convert." Then you get a bunch of useless information -- but look on the right side for a little suitcase icon that says "Traveler's Cheatsheet" -- and hit this, and you'll get the handy converter!

And since I'm going all out with my travel tips... ... another thing I do is I xerox my passport twice, and leave one copy at home, and pack one copy in my suitcase (the passport itself stays in my purse/backpack/etc. at all times). If anything happens, you have two backups!
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 05:08 AM

You might also want to check with your credit card company regarding extra charges they will apply to your account if you use it outside the country; some of them charge an extra percentage as a "conversion fee" - we didn't know about it the first time we went. Have fun!
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:29 PM

Hi JennPBD,

I am going to CR in Dec with a very similar itinerary to yours, so I'd love to hear your trip report when you get back