Reims or Versailles

Search

Reims or Versailles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reims or Versailles

DH and I leave for our HM in Paris next week. We will be there for 6 days and would love to take one day trip. We are torn on visiting Reims to do a little champagne tasting and exploring....or going to Versailles. They both sound like so much fun!

Old Oct 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Visiting Versailles is about seeing the palace and its gardens. It's up to you to decide whether that's more "fun" than champagne tasting and exploring the countryside for a day.

For what it's worth, I don't think I'd enjoy the Reims day trip if it were raining.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Reims would have the added plus of letting you test the new TGV-Est which gets you to Reims in 45 minutes.

However, on such a short trip, it might be wiser to just take the RER C to Versailles.

Since your trip is in the near future, keep an eye on the transportation strike.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 02:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, waterlily,

the two trips you mention are completely different, as Jean has said.

Given the choice, i think Reims would be better on a wet day - the wonderful cathedral, cafes, shops, etc., than Versailles, which you visit as much for the gardens as for the palace.

regards, ann
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 02:49 AM

Reims is a lively and functioning city that's the world champagne capital. Versailles is essentially an indoor/outdoor museum. Which one you choose is very much a personal preference.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I just posted to your other thread. IMHO since your days in Paris are so hectic - I really wouldn't do either day trip. 6 days isn't enough time to see everything you want IN Paris.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 07:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
My opinion as well. But I do understand the desire to see a 'non-Paris' location during your trip.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Although I am no expert, ( I have only visitied Paris 3 times) I think you should visit either place or both if it interests you. Visiting Versaille is something I have done on each visit. The first time was in the rain. It is a very easy RER ride and you can spend as much or as little time there as you please.
Sometimes you just don't have the luxury of enough time to see the sights "in depth". IMHO it is perfectly ok to experience only a taste of something so grand. Isn't it better than not having the experience at all?
I waited 20 years to visit Europe because I thought I needed at least two weeks to see anything. So, I saw nothing.
Now if I have six days I get on a plane and go somewhere! I like it better when I have 12 days, but life gets in the way most of the time.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 06:10 AM

You could easily fill your days just with Paris. But...if you want that day trip Versailles affords you easy access. There is much to see at Versailles and it could easily take the day but if you decide you've had enough at some point you can be back in Paris in little over an hour.Reims is much farther out though a fast trip now with the TGV.The cathedral is beautiful but if it's for the cathedral, Chartres is much closer to Paris and just as stunning. If it's for the champagne houses, keep in mind that you'll need appointments (the TI at the cathedral can help with this), and you'll need to have a taxi, car or learn the bus system,(pretty easy). The TGV will cost more and will have more limited runs than Versailles.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM

I don't agree at all with all the folks who think you should just stay in Paris all the time, even for a visit that long. I have never stayed within a city when traveling and not even done a day trip when I've been there 6 days or more. People want to see something different, not just see things within the same city day after day. There is nothing superior to seeing another minor museum in Paris to seeing the cathedral in Reims or visiting a champagne house. In fact, I'd vote for Reims over doing what a lot of people would do in six days in Paris.

But I really do agree that you just have to decide this for yourself based on what appeals to you. Personally, I prefer Reims to Versailles as it is more varied and a real city, of course. I have been to Versailles twice and enjoyed seeing it just for historical reasons, but I don't think I'd call it fun, exactly.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 09:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Christina: I agree w/ you up to a point. But in this case, from the OPs other thread she has crammed her Paris days really full (too full IMHO ). By skipping the day trip they can slow down a bit and not rush rush so much.

A day trip out of town can be a great change of pace - But they are trying to see an awful lot in 5 days.