Winter Months in Arizona

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Months in Arizona

Never been to this area. Snowbirds thinking of Jan-Mar rental, get out of the cold! Can you give me input on best place to go - Phoenix, Tucson etc...want something "manageable" (ie. not too huge - we don't want to drive an hour everywhere)..we'll be driving from Ontario Canada and want to be warm and not in a place too "hectic"...please help us with a decision - ie. areas, specific accommodations - anything ...thx.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:42 PM

"Best" would depend on what activities you enjoy and on how big a town you can handle.

Phoenix is really crowded now, most snowbirds are staying in the far east valley, say Mesa or Apache Junction. Lots to do but lots of traffic.

Tucson is crowded too but not as much, again with plenty to do.

Lot of people say the areas around Quartzsite (near California border off I-10) are similar to say Apache Junction 30 years ago, if you want to avoid cities.

Bill
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:07 AM

consider Yuma.

Phoenix is big, but you would only have to drive an hour is you were doing something on the other side of the city.

Tucson is much smaller than phoenix
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Well, we stayed in this place last July/August (http://www.vrbo.com/78218) in a very nice area of Tucson (the Catalina Foothills). It isn't a "view" property, but it was roomy enough, VERY reasonably priced, and in a great location.

You can see some photos of the unit and the complex (along with scenic shots of Tucson, Sedona, etc) in my recently posted Arizona Webshots album, which you can find here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/l...host=community

Photos of the condo and it's complex are on pages 5-6.
We would gladly stay in the place again.

Ken
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 08:40 PM

If you are against long drives, i would not recommend, the east valley, apache junction, yuma etc.
You should be able to find something in Phx or Tucson. Tucson is a smaller phx but you might enjoy the cultural aspects of having the university in the center of town.
good luck finding a place.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Being familar with Arizona, I think Tucson is your best bet. Phoenix and surrounding area is too crazy,hetic. Not much to do in Yuma and Quartsite is the ugliest place I've seen.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 03:02 PM

I'd also suggest Tucson. It has the university in town as well as many things to do and see in town and in the region. I agree with the previous assessment of Quartsite. IMO, it is not even a place to visit unless you are into the RV boondocking life style.