Cabin at back of ship

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Aja
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin at back of ship

Has anyone ever gotten a cabin that is on the back of the ship...This is our 3rd cruise and all of our cabins have been on the side. Just wondering if the back is a good location -- any feedback is appreciated.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Hi Aja,

The Crabby Old Guy and I booked a rear cabin with a wrap around balcony on Costa's Mediterranea this year. It was fabulous and I would book it again in a heart beat. When sitting on the balcony it felt as if we were on our own private yacht LOL. The seas were calm so we didn't notice any difference in the motion of the ship. Just be careful, I have noticed on some ships that the way the balconies are lined up at the rear of the ship anyone standing aft on the Lido deck can look down at you and you therefore lose your privacy. This was not the case on Costa. Hope this helps.

Stay Savvy!
Hugs,
The Savvy Old Lady(c)
www.thesavvyoldlady.com
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Aja
Original Poster

Thanks, I feel better about booking this cabin. I can't wait, we don't leave until 3/08... I love cruises.. And the balcony is the only way to go.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 09:46 AM

We always book on the stern and often the wrap arounds. I agree that not all ship aee built the same way so if privacy is an issue, do your research.

There is more vibration and motion in this area (generally) so that is one potential downside if you are sensitive.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM

We had a cabin with a balcomy on the back of the ship on the Grand Princess. It was really nice. Balcony was much bigger and private.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM

We had a cabin in the back once. Loved the view of the wake. And I thought having a cabin in the back ended up with me doing a lot more walking to get there...so you can eat more.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Aja
Original Poster

Great, I have been reading alot of positive things about the balconies at the back of the ship -- can't wait. I'm glad our travel agent suggested it - definately looking forward to seeing the sunsets from our lounge chairs
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM

We just returned from the Carnival Spirit and had a stern cabin with a wrap around balcony. I think it was #5266.

We loved it and could have hosted a party for 25 people on the balcony with no problem. In fact, we had 12 there when we left San Diego and had plenty of room.

However, a couple of things I would note. We have done several cruises and the stern has much more motion than the middle. It seemed to be less than the front, which we had once.

Our last cruise was a trans Atlantic and I don't think I would have liked the stern cabin for that.

So if you are doing a smooth water cruise (Mexico, Alaska, Med, or Carribean) it will probably be great.

Also, we had four huge floor to ceiling windows and little over hang for shade. Therefore, our cabin was hot and the AC didn't seem to keep it very cool. We closed the blackout drapes when we went on deck to help.

It was really only an issue during day light and when getting dressed for dinner (hair dryer, hot shower, etc).

The cabin would be great for Alaska, but to hot for warm weather.

The first and last night we could open the balcony door, but the rest of the trip it was to hot and humid to do that.

The cabin was also laid out sort of wierd. It was long and narrow with a lot of wasted space for the hallway. That wasn't a big issue as we still had plenty of room for the two of us.

People from the decks above could look down onto our balcony, but they couldn't see all of the deck so that wasn't much of a big deal.

Bottom line, I would do the cabin again just not for a warm weather or rough water trip.