Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help, I've left my sweater in Barcelona!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after unpacking from our recent trip I noticed that I left a new sweater behind. Our hotel in Barcelona does indeed have it, and wants to know if I can have a post service pick it up.

Is there any inexpensive way to mail a small package from Barcelona to the U.S.? I need more information before I know what to ask them. I don't want to pay more than the sweater's worth to retrieve it
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 09:20 AM

Talk to someone at UPS. They probably have this type of service.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 09:24 AM

I can tell you that you could likely ship it from US to spain via Priority INternational for $25-30 depending on weight. Should be similar coming back. There are slower slightly cheaper methods services from USPS, don't know about Spain's post of course. You might phone DHL, FedEx etc. Maybe they have a client who does pack and ship there.

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 09:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
This sounds weird to me - whenever I've left a garment behind (or when a TC did) the hotel just mailied it to us. This has happened 4 or 5 times over the years and we always volunteered to pay for the postage but only one hotel accepted the offer.

A sweater sent in a padded envelope will not cost that much to mail regualr post. I would be shocked if a hotel asked me to arrange the shipping after I had returned home.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 09:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Kiss your sweater goodbye. (and rush into its arms with joy if ever it shows up again)
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM

If you use the Spanish post you will have it for next spring.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:14 AM

Possible, aduchamp! I haven't received shipments from Spain - but I sent two bia USPS last month, both were delivered within 10 days (to Madrid).
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:25 AM

I don't think it sounds weird at all. I just left two sweaters at a hotel in Paris, and they certainly accepted my offer to pay for the postage to have it mailed back. I stay at relatively budget hotels, though, so I wouldn't expect a very expensive hotel to ask you to pay for it -- but they might.

I was just glad to get them back as they were two of my favorites, and it wasn't that they were worth so much but they might not be that easy to replace at the price I bought them.

It cost me $26 and was shipped from Paris via DHL to my home in the US. It was a very small package and not that heavy, of course. I told them I didn't want them to do it if it cost more than 30 euro. Given the USD is low, the fee must have been about 17 euro.

I don't know why one would be shocked for a hotel to ask you to pay for the shipping of something you left behind. It wasn't their fault you left it. They spent quite a bit of time packing it up, addressing it, and arranging for the shipment (which could have even involved going somewhere, it wasn't the regular mail). The fact that they charged my credit card for the actual shipping charge didn't bother me at all.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

You did great Christina! DHL is quoting me $103 for a 1 lb. package. I told them about your experience for $26 and she didn't believe me

I have no idea how much the package would weigh. It's only 1 sweater, not to heavy.

I e-mailed the hotel again with my address. We'll see if they come up with a better solution.

By the way the hotel is:

HESPERIA DEL PORT
Avenida Paralelo, nš 40
Barcelona 08 001
tel. +34 93 230 85 00
fax +34 93 230 85 10

It seemed like a fine mid range hotel.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM
hdm

This is a very, very longshot, Images, so don't count on it.

Where do you live? I have a friend who is traveling in Spain right now. If she hasn't already left Barcelona, and if she's checking her email, maybe she'd be able to get it and bring it home with her and I'd mail it to you from Toronto. Is it a big, bulky sweater? Would it take up a lot of room in her suitcase?
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:15 AM

hmmm... I threw the packaging away, but I'm almost positive it was DHL. It was a private shipping company, not the French postal service. It probably weighed about 1-2 pounds (it was two very lightweight sweaters). I remember writing them in an email not to do it if it cost more than about 25 euro, so I thought they did pretty good as it ended up being $26 when converted.

I don't have the credit card charge with me, but I'll look it up to make sure what company it was and let you know. Maybe DHL is a whole lot cheaper in France than Barcelona, who knows. But you do have to admit that $100 is ridiculous for a 1 lb. package, even for DHL. That actually sounds very odd to me, unless it was some super-duper priority mail. Mine was not.

I've even had packages shipped from the Czech Republic, a lot farther away, that weighed up to maybe 10-15 pounds, and it didn't cost more than US$35-40 by a private shipper.

Are they maybe quoting you the most expensive class of delivery, overnight or something?
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:15 AM

There are cruises going there this spring - perhaps one of the couples going in early could pick it up for you. One cruise I know of is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=454288
Go to the end and ask someone. Can't hurt.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:18 AM

FALL- I meant this fall! (It's so nice out...) The cruise I mentioned leaves Barc Oct 8th so some going in early would be leaving any day now.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:03 PM

Christine: I think you misunderstood what I meant. I don't think it is weird for the hotel to ask for reimbursement. I do think it is very weird for the hotel to ask the OP <u>to arrange the shipping from back in the US</u>.

That would be like someone in Spain having to contact a local US post office/courier service to pick up something at a hotel in Napa. The Napa hotel should take care of the arrangements . . . .

It would be MUCH easier for the hotel to make those arrangements.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM

oops sorry - that should be Christina . . . . .
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:24 PM

if the hotel can mail it to me in valencia i will take it to the usa october 9th and mail it as soon as i can .

i can call them once you have authorized this.

hope you get your sweater soon somehow.

however, i also donīt understand their problem with mailing it .. but i think if YOU call UPS or DHL you can set up the pickup and have it sent to you with no problem. the person PAYING has to make the call, i believe. the hotel canīt just SAY it is to be charged at destination.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I feel silly worrying about this since it's not an expensive item, it's just that I just bought it before we left, and I like it The hotel will ship it if I arrange it, but DHL and UPS are quoting over $100 to ship it. That's ridiculous. I asked for a cheaper way, none was available.

hdm, your offer is very kind. The sweater isn't bulky at all. It won't be hard to mail. I've sent a 2nd request to the hotel, so I'll see what they say. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and if you're friend is willing let me know and I'll send you my address. The hotel is less than a 1 minute walk from the Paral-lel metro stop.

Lincasanova, that's a very kind offer. I'm not even sure if it would arrive by the time you leave.

You're all very kind, and this is a learning experience!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:48 PM
hdm

I'll try to track her down, Images, and I'll let you know.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alot. I have a nice gift for her if this works out!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 01:02 PM

images2... i am GOING to cincinnati the 13th!! hyde park area.. i will be there for part of a week.

and yes, if the hotel can be contacted and i can convince them to send it JUST to valencia, it will be here in two days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -