Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you travel to Europe with your teens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am asking as someone who does not have children of her own yet, but is now in the final preparation stages for the third trip to Russia with 22 teenagers.

I have been working on advice for travel to share with them, but I figure it is better to ask parents and others about their personal experience.

Do you have any suggestions of "must brings" or "leave at homes"? I feel like my kids are always lugging things unnecessarily on the plane, etc.

What did your kids actually use, either on the plane or in their "down time"? What did they bring, but never saw the light of day?

Thanks for any hints or suggestions. I am trying to reform my own overpacking ways- I want them to get off on the right foot!

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:46 AM

I'm a little confused by your question. Is this the third time you've taken a group of teens to Russia? Or is this your third time to Russia but your first trip with teens? I am a high school teacher who has travelled to Europe with teens (including my own two sons) for 10 years. I have a little insight but my answer depends on how you refine your question.

I can tell you that no matter what you say to 1st time overseas travellers about packing light, the great majority won't listen.

I do have a blog that I posted about this past summer's student trip. It talks a little about the philosophy of travel and it also details some of our experiences. But we went to London, Paris, Lucernce, Venice, Florence and Rome. Not Russia.

http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/5754
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 06:04 AM

My daughter went to Italy this summer with her chorus. An experienced traveler, she barely filled the two small suitcases given to her as a gift in preparation for this trip. Other kids on the tour brought what looked like steamer trunks!

Their director suggested that they bring no more than they could carry for three blocks. Of course, with rolling luggage, carrying doesn't necessarily happen. But, if you'll be boarding trains or using public transportation that involves lots of stairs, carrying does come into play.

My daughter insisted on taking her iPod. I know it got used. Many kids brought a variety of hair appliances...dryers and irons. And they all got used, apparently. I guess that if it's your first trip to Europe and you're a teenage girl, you HAVE to look good!

Several years ago, my DD insisted on bringing 5 or 6 books with her to Europe for a 3.5 week trip, including a Harry Potter tome. I protested but then decided not to fight with her, but rather insisted that she carry them. Well, she did indeed read every single book. Didn't see as much scenery from the car as I would have liked, but she was happy.

I think all the rules of packing for adults also apply to kids. Lay out what you think you need and take half, etc., etc.

Oh, and a rule of etiquette, if they bring electronic games and gizmos on the plane, PLEASE have them switch the sound off. Nothing makes me want to strangle kids like the beep beep beeping of those horrendous games (which, btw, my DD doesn't own).

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

sshepard: Sorry for the confusion- this is my third time bringing students- 2003,2005, and in just a few weeks.

Obviously I have some of my own suggestions for the kids- but I hope that others have suggestions, too!

Amy: thanks for the suggestions! I agree- I probably can't deny the iPods, but the PSPs, etc... very annoying to seatmates! I also fear for how LOUD the kids play their iPods- for their future hearing loss. As my students are traveling during the school year, they will have work to do, as well- so some books will make the trip, for sure. I always hope that the English teachers will let them read Dr. Zhivago or Crime & Punishment or something similar for their reading work during the trip- then the students can talk about their experiences in the same places. I had a girl the last trip who took the C&P tour in St.Pete- really gave a great perspective!

Thanks!

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

to sshepard: I am really enjoying your travbuddy pages!!! I did put one on my group wiki page- I hope I will be able to find computers while we are traveling to update it for the families at home!

The "artificial arm" you mention for a pickpocketer is a scary thought, but I can see how it would work... I will definitely mention that to my kids!

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Katya_NY: Thanks for looking at the blog. It probably has more value to the parents and those making the trip than it does to others. But I enjoyed doing it.

Would you mind sharing your wiki with me? I am teaching teachers about wikis, blogs and podcasts and I am always looking for examples.

[email protected]
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:00 AM

iPods and other portable music players may seem unnecessary to those that don't use them. But my iPod(s) are essential travel companions.

And, for what its worth, there are some excellent travel and language podcasts that can be downloaded so you can learn on the go. If I know my students have iPods, I'll share the podcast address with them so they can download and listen.

If you are looking for a specific topic, try podcast.net. I don't know how good it is but I just found this using Google:

http://speakrussian.blogspot.com/
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:29 AM

My DD (16) and I were in France this summer. She did take her curling iron, but never used it. She really wanted to bring her straightener as well, but I talked her into just one item. She laughed when we were packing to fly home and said the curling iron was a waste of space and she should have left it at home as well. Now, we do pack very light...we each just had one carry one for our trip. We knew we did not need hairdryers as the hotels have those.

She did take her iPod, but didn't use it much. Before we left home, she bought a book she needed to read over the summer and had it loaded onto her iPod. That worked great!

We each took our cell phones, but didn't use them much. They were more for in case of emergency, but she did do some texting to friends.

One way to really lighten up is with shoes. This time we each had 3 pair total, 2 in the bags and then wore one. We could have gotten away with 2 pair each.

Another thing with girls is they tend to use many hair products...different ones different days. Really try to get them to just bring the very basics. I know...girls that age THINK all of these are basics, lol, so explain in detail what that really is.

DD was very glad to have a light bag. We took a side trip via train and so she had to handle her bag herself. She commented on other bags she saw and how she wouldn't want to be hauling those around.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:43 AM

I just wanted to say THANK YOU! I am going to print this out and go to your blog next to read.

My sister and I are taking our niece and 2 nephews to Europe for their college graduation gift. I am laughing now because of how much my niece will want to bring.

But this lesson will also go to my sister who will need to travel lighter than her usual 29" suitcase.....LOL I already told her no hard cover books only paperbacks!
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

to sshepard: Natalia Worthington and I are "priyateli" (acquaintances- via the internet) as I found her on the free webcast list almost 2 years ago and I have QUITE a few of her podcasts, etc. on my various class wikis for kids to check out. Her handwriting lesson will be a large portion of my subplans while I am bringing the HS kids to Russia! (I actually teach in the Jr.HS).

So yes- I am a full-on believer in the podcast- my one exception is that I don't let the kids break out the iPods while we are on a tour. It's hard enough to keep teens engaged- I don't think our guides should have to compete with earbuds!!

I will send out links to my wikis- for those who are interested in my basic wikis:

russian.pbwiki.com

missb.pbwiki.com

As far as overpacking- I know that my girls want to look as fab as they do in school daily, and this just isn't necessary. I already have gotten the shocked look when I outlawed heels and mini skirts. And for the most part, the kids will be staying with families, so there will most likely be "product" available... but heaven forbid it not be the right brand! They are too funny. We'll see who is laughing at the end of the trip! Russian girls tend to look fabulous all the time, and my girls know this, so its hard to convince them that hoodies are better than heels.

The boys just find the whole discussion hilarious.

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
My brother was in a moody phase (age 18) during a European trip and slept or read a book most of the time in the back of the VW van that my parents had rented for us and the French grandparents. I always loved our trips to Europe (I was 15 that year) and would have gladly strangled him. I never asked my parents about it, but I'm sure they would have helped.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Yes, we travel with our teens, but they are boys so the packing issues are minimal. They use no "products" other than the basics like deodorant. Their hair always air dries.

IPod's are a must and they use them a ton. But, while they are great for travel days, they are not allowed to have them on tours, at museums, in restaurants, etc... They also bring a number of books, but are required to carry whatever they bring which has never been a problem. Even with multiple books, they often finish before the end of the trip. Usually, unless it is a special book for some reason, we just leave our books to share with travelers who come after us. That leaves extra room for souvenirs they pick up along the way. Sometimes we are able to pick up books in that same way at B&B's and such. Or, if we are in a big city, we search out a bookstore to replenish the supply. When they were younger, they would often bring electronic games (PSP's or whatever),but ALWAYS were required to keep the sound off. I don't find that they bring them anymore. We travel with a couple of decks of cards - always good to pull out during a train ride or flight delay or even just in the evening over coffee or drinks.

I make sure they have a small bit of local currency as well as know where we are staying. We have just started traveling with our cell phones, but rarely use them. Still, as they get older and sometimes separate from us (to get an ice cream or stop in an internet cafe, for example), it is nice to know we could touch base.

Remind them about extras such as spare contacts or glasses, if they use them. That was an issue with my 16 year old when he forgot his spare contacts on a 5 week trip to Poland, Prague and Israel this summer. We spent the last day before he boarded his flight in NYC (we live in VA), running around for extras!

Hope that helps. I think the overpacking is harder with the girls. I sometimes have to remind my boys to bring enough!
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, fun4all4! Definitely we encourage the students to pack spare glasses/lenses/etc- always a good idea. Even if the old ones aren't as stylish!

Good thought with the paperbacks- I will encourage the group to bring only one novel each, and maybe trade with another student sometime on our 2 week trip. We do encourage them to xerox only what they will need from textbooks, too- and share those copies with classmates-which lightens the load.

I have to laugh about the air-drying hair. For boys with short hair, that probably works, and fairly quickly. My more "sporty" girls tend to do this at home, too- throw it into a ponytail and go. In Russia, though- this is just NOT acceptable, as host families are concerned about the girls catching cold. I have had some big smiles from girls whose host moms have blown out their hair for them, every morning! Its usually the first time I will see them with their hair down, much less styled!

kerouac: I will also not be patient with moody, withdrawn kids! I understand that everyone has a bad day, but man! The amount of $ they have spent on this trip!!