Hawaii in January? Your opinion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi -- my husband and I have an opportunity to go to Hawaii for about 9 nights in mid-January. I hear the weather is beautiful all year round, but are some islands better than others during this time of year? If so, where should we try to go? We would be flying in and out of Honolulu, however, we only want to spend one day on Oahu and the remainder in other places.

Also, any recommendations on reasonable inter-island flights?

Any input you can provide is greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Ok, conventional wisdom is as follows: in the winter months stay on the leeward sides of the various islands - this means the south or western shores. This is because the wind (and thus the rain) and waves come usually from the NE (windward) side. So, the west and south shores tend to have sunnier, drier weather and calmer seas (which is better for snorkeling and swimming). On Oahu this means Honolulu, Waikiki etc. On Maui this means either South Maui or West Maui - note that these names are a bit misleading as both are on the western shores of the 2 lobes of the island (the southern lobe and the western lobe). On the big Island of Hawaii this means staying on the Kona Coast. All of these areas are tourist meccas with fine weather and generally nice beaches. All of them are a bit on the dry side (some areas are VERY dry), resulting in scenery a bit like that of Southern California (at least in regards to vegitation). If you want a more lush, green experience you can buck the trend and choose to stay on the windward shores. This means you will likely receive more rain (and possibly even be rained out - though that is unlikely) and rougher seas (possibly unswimable, depending on where exactly you stay).

So, the question you need to ask yourself is "what do we want to do?". Are you seeking sunbathing and swimming? Do you want to shop and party? Are you an outdoors enthusiast who wants to hike, zipline and other adventurous activities? Answering these questions will tell you which island your should stay one (with 9 days I would stick with one (or two including Oahu if you just stay there briefly - though Oahu deserves much more).

So, what do you want to do?

Ken
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was in Waikiki this year the 3rd week of January. It was gorgeous. Warm and sunny all day, most days. A few times there were rain showers or drizzle. One evening after dinner a monsoon style downpour for about 20 mins. Nothing enough to spoil the fun.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM

For interisland air fare specials, sign up for the various e-newsletters put out by the various airlines:
www.iflygo.com
www.hawaiianair.com
www.alohaairlines.com
www.islandair.com

Why do you only want to spend one day on Oahu? It's not like there's a leper colony there, ya know.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so far for the information! I was thinking of only spending one night on Oahu since I've been there before (although...my husband has not), I just thought it would be great for us to spend more time on a different island(s) and discover it together.

As for activities, golfing is a MUST for my husband. We would also like to hike, a beach day here & there, etc. A little bit of everything I guess. We are not surfers, so the high tides won't excite us too much.

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

Lots of info & links on this site:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/gonebananas/
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Well, it sounds like any of the islands might be OK for you.

Here's the way I generally categorize the two other Hawaiian Islands that I've been to:

Kauai - Outdoorsmans paradise and the most scenic of the islands. Best for those who are seeking quiet relaxation or outdoor "adventures". Very little in the way of nightlife.

Maui - The most balanced of the islands. Not nearly as scenic as Kauai (though still scenic) but with a great mix of nice beaches, shopping options, good dining and even some nightlife. If you are seeking a bit of everything, then this is the place for you.

Ken