Waikiki Trip Report (long)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned from two wonderful weeks in Waikiki. I stayed at the most awesome condo (a studio, but large) located in the Island Colony on the corner of Seaside and Ala Wai. I rented this through vrbo.com and NEVER want to stay in a hotel again (unless I get a GREAT deal!) - this was the easiest transaction and I was more than pleased with the entire thing. I really liked the flexibility when it came to payment options - instead of having to pay the entire cost of the rental at the time of reservation like many hotels require these days, I paid a nominal ($150) deposit and didn’t owe another cent until I arrived, although I did choose to pay it off a few weeks before the trip, but I didn’t have to. The entire price - including ALL fees and taxes (and parking too) was LESS than $100 per night - can’t beat that!

Also - I took the red eye on Hawaiian Airlines out of Las Vegas (at 2:45 AM) and arrived in Honolulu at 5:35 AM. The condo owners had instructed me to call them from the baggage claim and they would meet me at the condo, which they did. No hotel would have allowed me to check-in that early (about 7 AM by the time I got there) without charging more; also, no hotel would have allowed me to check out after 7 PM (for a 10:25 PM flight home) without additional charges as these folks allowed me to do. These people were more than accommodating.

The condo itself was awesome. On the 43rd floor - the view was incredible - we had a full view of the entire Diamond Head mountain/crater, the Ala Wai Canal and golf course, the Ko’OLau mountains, and a huge part of Waikiki - all the way to the W Hotel, we could even see all the way to Hanuma (sp) Bay and the Kahala area. I actually could lie in bed and look at the ocean. We spent a lot of time just sitting in the really comfy lounge chairs (with ottomans & a table we ate every meal on) on the large lanai just looking out at the beautiful view. The condo had a comfy king size bed, a small sofa, a desk, a great TV (which we didn’t watch too much) kitchenette, and even had a bathtub in the bathroom. There was a small convenience store downstairs near the pool, sauna, spa and laundry room. There was some construction on the building going on while I was there, but aside from some noise, it didn’t affect us. We paid for parking up front so was given a monthly pass when I checked in which made parking in Waikiki a breeze instead of the nightmare it usually is. I made good use of the kitchenette - I love to cook and made lots of meals while I was there. The location was great, too, just three blocks to the beach, and The Bus was always running just a block away on Kuhio. The street that backed up to the Island Colony (Nohonani) becomes Duke’s lane when you cross Kuhio so it was really easy to get around - everything I wanted to do was within easy reach.

The weather couldn’t be beat the days I was there - trade winds every day and mid 80 temps. Considering they were issuing extreme heat warnings at home (in Las Vegas) I felt very lucky to be enjoying gorgeous weather in paradise. Made numerous trips to the beach - the water was wonderful. Yes, the beach was crowded, but I love people watching so it was no big deal for me. I walked along the beach often in the evening as well - just couldn’t get enough!

Here’s a brief list of things I did while I was there:
• Saw the Danny Couch show at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani - good show, he’s handsome and has a great voice, but is REALLY in love with himself!
• Went on a sunset dinner cruise on the Ale Ale Kai 5 - part of Coconut Cruises by Fisherman’s Wharf - lots of fun, good entertainment and food not bad either
• Saw Augie Ray’s trio (with Bobby King and Carlos Barboza) at the Waikiki Elks Club - fun show but Augie Ray would be NOTHING without Bobby & Carlos
• Saw Olomana one Saturday night at the Hilton Hawaiian Village - great as always
• Climbed to the top of Makapu’u Point - awesome views reward you for the effort!
• Spent 4th of July at Schofield Barracks’ Celebration - VERY awesome indeed!
• Drove up to the North Shore and all over Kaneohe one day
• Stocked up on more Maui Onion Salsa from Dole Plantation
• Went to Punchbowl
• Took The Bus all over the place! Bought a monthly pass ($40 at 7-11) which was the best investment of the trip (IMO)
• Went shopping (LOTS) at Ala Moana, Chinatown, Duke’s Lane, Int’l Market Place, and, of course, WalMart and ABC stores
• Indulged in a latte from the Honolulu Coffee Company next to the Moana and sat in a rocking chair on Moana’s porch while I drank it - just watching the people go by one night
• Saw the latest “Die Hard” movie at Ward Center with my sweetie

Aside from cooking in the condo - here’s a list of where I went to eat:

• Rainbow Drive Inn for plate lunches that we took over to Kapiolani Park to eat at sunset one night
• Leonard’s - had to get some malasadas and pastries
• Coconut-macadamia nut ice cream cones from the ice cream stand in the food court of the Int’l Market Place (a few of these)
• Had a Waikiki Plate Lunch at the new Holokai Grill at Waikiki Beachwalk - very good
• Had lunch with a dear friend at the Cheescake Factory in the Outrigger - delicious White Chocolate-Macadamia Nut Cheesecake
• Had lunch with other friends at Duke’s one Saturday - fun as always and the bartender even made a drink for me that I’d had on a previous trip that was no longer on their menu
• Went out to dinner at the Chowder House in the Ward Center - great food
• Shaved ice (coconut cream which was BRIGHT pink) with ice cream at Matsumoto’s - yummy
• Pineapple Whip at Dole Plantation - great as usual
• MANY breakfasts at the Seaside Bar & Grill on Kuhio & Seaside - good food and better prices
• breakfast at Denny’s, IHOP and McDonald’s (had to try the spam McGriddle - not bad)
• Drinks in the Pikake Terrace in the Princess Kaiulani

I’m sure I’ve left something out - but you get the idea - I had a GREAT trip and can’t wait to go back as soon as possible! If I think of anything else I’ll amend this report.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Aloha Bashful - Is this condo big enough for 4 people? I'm helping some friends plan a trip - 4 women (all related) who will be spending 3 nights in Honolulu next Feb - looking for budget accommodations. Mahalo!
Dianne
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM

bashfulLV, thanks for the great report! These are the kind I print and save ... Could you link us to the actual condo at Island Colony? I am so much more comfortable renting a place if I KNOW someone who's gone before me. Sounds like a great deal for the money ...
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:39 PM

great trip report, Bashful! Thanks for posting such an informative report!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

mauigirl50 - Yes, for ladies who are related it should be fine. There is a king size bed and a sofa with a pull out bed. The bed is comfy enough, but we didn't pull out the sofa bed so can't vouch for that. The bathroom is kind of small, but it has everything you could need and there's a large mirror on the dresser if the ladies need more room getting gussied up!

elsiemoo - if you go onto vrbo.com, enter #108633 and it will pull up this condo. The pictures they show that are taken from the lanai don't do the view justice, though, it's all much closer than it looks like in the pictures.

aloha - I have so enjoyed reading many other trip reports here so thought I better contribute as well! Hope it is helpful to others who have "island fever" like I do. I have it so bad that I just talked to my Waikiki "landlord" this afternoon and asked him to roll my deposit into the next trip so I can go back in October! Planning the next trip makes coming back to the "real" world much easier.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Hey I like your idea of keeping that deposit rolling...going back in Oct congrats again!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:55 PM

sorry we missed you!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Bashful,
Thanks for the great report of your trip. I'm not coming until next summer, but will certainly follow much of your advise and experiences.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi MelissaHI - I had so intended to try and do a GTG but didn't take the computer with me and didn't go near one the entire trip! I had hoped to get one arranged before the trip and then that didn't happen either. I'm coming back over Oct 11-15 so maybe then - I'd love to meet you (and other HNL or visiting Fodorites) in person.