Meurice, George V, or Ritz in Paris

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meurice, George V, or Ritz in Paris

If you were to spend your child's inheritance, would you spend it on one night at the Meurice, the George V, or the Ritz? I'm pretty sure I want to stay at one of these (the rest of our trip is far more sensible), but not having been in any of them (walked past the Meurice and the Ritz in 2005), I don't know which one.

Any suggestions or advice?

TIA,

KC
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:05 PM

they are all special.

I've stayed at the George V: good location, lux rooms, perfect service. Loved it, but it can feel like you are anywhere, not that it's a bad thing though. We loved lounging around the bar at night and the breakfast is sublime. Our room was really large, fab bathroom; all in all a most perfect stay. Will in all liklihood stay again.

Meurice feels a little more Parisian and the Ritz of course is so legendary.
I've been in both, but not actually laid my head on a pillow.

For one night though, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Nice dilemma???

Have a ball and live it up!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:28 PM

i stayed in the george v last april. it was amazing!! we are going back to paris and staying at the plaza athenee next week and my husband is disappointed....he fell in love with the george v. rooms are HUGE....and wonderful service...
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:06 PM

If I was going to spend my child's inheritance, I would stay at the Four Seasons. I thought the George V was nice, but not as special as other places I've stayed.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:19 PM

I would choose the Meurice so I could languish at the Caudalie Spa there.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:22 PM

You've picked three of the four best hotels in Paris (the fourth being the Plaza Athenee). Personally, I prefer the location of Le Meurice and the Ritz Paris; they are an easy stroll from most of the best tourist attractions (the Louvre, Notre Dame, Musee d'Orsay). The George V is in the vicinity of the Tour Eiffel. The Ritz has a beautiful indoor pool, if that is of any interest.

But my advice ... book any of these through Virtuoso for discounted negotiated pricing (typically as good as or better than what you can find on the hotel's own sites), upgrades at time of booking (at the Ritz and Le Meurice) and on check-in (at George V), free limousine transfer from CDG (at the Ritz) along with VIP welcome when you get off the plane, etc.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:01 PM

Meurice if you can be guaranteed a Tuileries view. George V or if you can't. The Meurice has the fewest "Looky Lou's" hanging about.

Although I would probably spend my last night at a luxury hotel rather than my first, so all the other accommodations wouldn't suffer in comparison.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:11 PM

I stand corrected. The George V is the Four Seasons. I was thinking of the Sheraton Prince de Galle, a door or two down. At least I was in the right direction!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:23 PM

I agree with tripgirl, the four seasons is nice, and I will go back sometime, though my next trip we are going to the Crillon, I got thinking about the place after a recent post that was rather contoversial. GEO V has great rooms, great service, but you could really be anywhere, unless of course the Tour de Eiffel is outside your window. For one night I would pick a palace hotel. Nice problem to have!
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:40 PM

I read somewhere that the Bristol has just had a grand refurbishment...if that's true, I would suggest checking that one out as well.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM

What is a "Looky Lou" ???
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 01:37 PM

In this particular case, it's tourists that lurk around the entrance and lobbies (and sometimes bars) of the top hotels, but aren't guests of the hotel (or aren't meeting up with guests). Some hotels get a lot of them...the Ritz in Paris, the Sacher in Vienna.

It's a real estate term referring to people who go to open houses, comb through every detail of the properties, yet haven't the slightest intention of buying a house (any house). I have been guilty of that myself, however, I'm not there to check out the owner's taste, I'm gathering info to see what exactly I can expect to get for my housing dollar.

There are even Looky Lou's at funerals...at my grandmother's funeral service, two complete strangers dropped by, asked "so who was she?" and "how old?" and then moved on.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Of the three, the Geo V is in the best shape, due no doubt to it's deep pocket arab owners. The flower displays alone may be worth the visit. Having said that, the location is poor, unless you are in the fashion industry. The Meurice caters to travel groups so that is out, in my opinion. I would opt for the Ritz, Bristol or Crillon.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:35 PM

KC:

We've already spent the kid's and grandkid's inheritances! So sue me.

Seriously, have fun in Paris...make sure you save enough money for the taxi fare to CDG.

By the way, you can't just lurk around the Ritz...recently, we couldn't get past the front door(only guests and their guests can get beyond that).

Stu T.