Search

Need Help with East Coast Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with East Coast Vacation

Hi everyone,
I haven't posted on here in forever, becuase I haven't taken a vacation in what seems like forever. I need help. My husband and I really want to get away at the end of July for a week with our 15 month old daughter. We really enjoy sightseeing and good food. It does not necessarily have to be a beach vacation. We're travelling from Northern NJ and so far I thought of Baltimore, Cade Cod, Rehoboth DE, and Ocean City MD. I've never been to any of these places so if you can tell me where you'd rather go and the reason. Also, please recommend a hotel. If we were to choose Baltimore, we would probably stay at the Inner Harbor. We would like more of a hotel type place versus an inn, since we will be travelling with a 15 month old. We really want a nice family oriented atmosphere and would probably spend about $1500.00 for 5 nights on the hotel. I think I might have covered everything there.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Newport, RI?
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:39 AM

I'd pick Rehoboth or even Bethany Beach over OC. Why? Quieter. Decent choice of places to eat and shop in Rehoboth.

Possibly the Boardwalk Plaza or Atlantic Sands in Rehoboth if you want oceanfront/right at the boardwalk.

OC will have more hotels to choose from.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'm going to look into the Boardwalk Plaza and Atlantic Sands. As for Newport, I haven't even thought of that.
I was just serching on teh internet under Baltimore. Is Fells Point in Baltimore?? It looks really nice and quaint.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 11:36 AM

I think you would be bored in Baltimore for a week. I'd say two, maybe three days. One day to do the aquarium and Inner Harbor and one day to do Fell's Point would be about enough. Outside of those two areas, Baltimore isn't a great city. If you do go there, don't wander too far from Inner Harbor at night.
I'd recommend Rehoboth. While it does get crowded (as do all beach towns on the East Coast) it's not as bad as Ocean City. There's enough shopping to keep you busy for about 2-3 days and some great restaurants. Plus there are more areas from there to visit, like Dewey and Lewes. And you could always take the ferry across to Cape May, Stone Harbor and Avalon for a day or two as well.
Check out VRBO.com where you can rent small cottages and condos in Rehoboth for the week. Some are quite reasonable.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

How far of a drive is it from Baltimore to Rehoboth? I'm thinking that maybe I'll break up the week - 3 days in Baltimore and teh rest in Rehoboth?? Is that a bad plan?
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 12:24 PM

I just got back to home ( Chicago Suburbs) from a trip to DC and a night at Reoboth beach included.

Perhaps its just us. We are a couple in our late 40's with grown children who did not accompany us on this trip.

Anyway, we found Rehoboth to be way too touristy and congested and expensive hotel wise. We did have a nice dinner at Jakes. Vacationing with taffy places and carnival type amusements every 50 yards is not our idea of a vacation. 1 night was fine but I do not plan to return and would never stay there for multiple nights. Now we know.

We have vacationed on the gulf coast of Florida in the St. Pete's beach / Treasure Island areas and there is no comparison IMHO. I'll take FL any day.

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Have you considered Annapolis, Maryland. The city is very nice and there is a lot to do. You could also do a day trip to DC or Baltimore from there. Loews has a a nice hotel there.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

So I made up my mind to where I'm going. My husband and I decided to go to Cape May since I've never been and he hasn't been there in a very long time. So I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting. Now I'm going to start a new thread on Cape May