Questions about doctors and older travelers on European River Cruises

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m exploring the possibility of going with my mother on an 8 or 9 day European River Cruise to the Christmas Markets in 2007 (Danube or Rhine.) Neither of us has been on a river cruise. I want to be realistic here. She’s 80 years old, and sometimes she requires oxygen when she gets tired or hot. Also, she occasionally sleeps with oxygen at night.

I’ve done some preliminary internet research, and it seems that few ships have on board doctors. Do I need to search further, or is this generally the case for the smaller river cruises? An on board doctor would be a requirement for us.

I would really love to make this happen for us. She likes tours for the same reasons that have been discussed here many times (convenience of having someone else take care of the details and the luggage). With a cruise, we would only have to unpack once and have all meals served on the ship. At first, it seemed like an easy decision, considering her age but now I’m wondering if it’s not such a good idea.

Appreciate all help and input.

Am posting also on the Cruise forum, but it doesn’t seem to get as much traffic as Europe.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:16 AM

I doubt that you'll find many River Cruises that have a doctor on board. But the good news is that it is a river and that you are never far a town with a doctor. I would go for it.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM

There were doctors on board on every river cruise I have taken in Europe. Since it is a requirement though in your case I would ask the line to make sure it is still the policy. You probably don't want to rely on guesswork.

On a cruise through Germany waterways I was bitten by a wasp or a hornet and the doctor treated me. There was even a little first aid room.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM

I meant one doctor per cruise.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:49 AM

We took a river cruise with Viking Rivers in Russia. There was a doctor on board (with a nominal charge for a visit).

Your best bet is to contact the cruise companies directly to determined whether they can accommodate your mother.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. I've been doing more research, and I think this may be doable.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Consider buying travel insurance, as Medicare doesn't cover people outside the U.S. The insuremytrip.com web site is excellent for evaluating different policies.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link, Underhill. Good advice!