Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with Herrington Inn in Geneva, IL ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter is giving birth in August. Her first child and my first granchild

I'm planning to be in this area for at least two weeks, perhaps longer.

I've checked trip advisor, but nothing is current.

I'll be traveling solo, so want to avoid large/convention style hotels.

I'd really appreciate any feedback on this property or any other suggestions.

Thanks !

Marion
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 05:38 PM

I live around the corner from this place but have never stayed there. I have had friends stay and rave about it. I have heard it's romantic and rejuvinating.

I am sure you will need a nice, quiet place to go back to after visiting with your daughter and grandchild. This is probably the best spot for that. While staying there, walk up the street to Cocoa Bean for an almond croissant and a cup of coffee. Best in chicago!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply ! I really appreciate it.

My daughter's due date is 8/9...so I'm looking to spoil her a little bit beforehand and the spa might help with that.

I visited the area over Memorial Day weekend, at Hotel Baker, and wanted something more peaceful.

I expect I'll be doing some of that proverbial *pacing* before the birth, and an almond croissant might be just what I need

Thanks again !

Marion

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM

I attended a wedding there a couple years ago. We didn't stay overnight, but we got to see one of the rooms and it was lovely. The grounds were very pretty, and there were restaurants/stores within a very quick driving (or even walking) distance.

The food at the reception was above average, which bodes well for the restaurant.

Have a wonderful visit!
melissa
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:41 PM

This may not help you much in your decision, butI worked in Geneva for a number of years, until recently. I am also one that has never been inside but have passed by it everyday, not just by driving, but also by walking along the path in Island Park on the other side of the river. A few years back, they completed an addition to it. Also a few yrs back, 2001 or 2002, when "The Road to Perdition" was being partially filmed in Geneva, Tom Hanks stayed there. Not sure if Paul Newman also stayed there. Whenever I would go by it, just seemed like a nice restful place that I would like to stay at if had the chance. Especially when seeing some of the guests going in or out; to me, they always seemed to be smiling & happy to be there & relaxed.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM

I lived in Geneva and stayed there on a few Valentines Days. It's very nice, go for it if you have the money. I can't think of anywhere nicer outside Chicago.
Great bathrooms.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies. I have booked there and look forward to the peaceful environment you all have described !

Marion