Faroe Islands Help !!

Search

Faroe Islands Help !!

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faroe Islands Help !!

Our cruise ship will be stopping at the Faroe Islands in Sept. from Norway, on way to Iceland. Has anyone been there? What to see? There are a number of tours offered, but should I take in the history or check out the scenery?
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:58 AM

I can't help you but I want to go there a lot, so I hope you will post when you get back and tell us what you saw.

In the meantime, go to google images and do a search for pictures that will give you some idea of what it is all about. My impression is that it is very bleak and very small, but I would be happy to be corrected!
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Pausanias

Been on my to do list for a long while. The New York Times ran an article on March 25th.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/03/25....faroes.t.html

Old May 28th, 2007, 06:53 AM

Fantastic article, pictures, and video but obviously not for everyone!
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Hi-dh and I are going to France for 11 days in July and want to take a long weekend trip (4 days) to a small, quiet island, preferably not too hot. We were thinking of a small island off of Denmark or Norway. Any ideas? We aren't really beach people so just want a small place to explore, walk, hike, sleep, etc.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM

I would repost, Jenski, under another heading since the Faroes are practically in the artic and a person with the information you need would not necessarily look at this topic.

What about a French island in Brittany? Or what about the Channel Islands? English spoken and only a few miles off the French coast. Do you really have enough to time to negotiate Germany or Denmark in search of an island after only 11 days in France?

How about reposting your question as Channel Islands or Brittany islands? I would be interested to see what recommendations you get.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM

Jenski, you'll get more responses if you create your own message. In the top left of the screen, there's a link called Post a New Message. Click that and make sure to put in a detailed title.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Jenski-do look at Bornholm. We spent 3 nights there in summertime and I loved it. It was very much a domestic holiday destination without the noise and glitz you'd associate with many other popular places. They have wonderful fairly unique circular churches, clean beaches, castles, sweet little towns and lots of things I found very appealling
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM

did you visit the Faroe Islands in Sept? was a long weekend enough? did you feel that was a good time to visit?

thanks.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:55 AM

Hi there.

I lived on The Faroe Islands from '82-'99.
It is a really great place. 18 small Islands our in the golf stream. National geographic says its the most unspoiled islands in the world. I agree!

Things to see and things to do:
You MUST go on at boat trip to 'Vestmannabjørgini' ('Vestmannabjoergini'). Sailing along the faroese westcoast.

See the capital city Tórshavn. The smallest capital i the world with a population 16000.

Very frienly people on the islands. The love to show you the islands. Maybe you meet somone that will drive you around and show you the place?

I'm going to visit again from mai to june 08. 4 weeks. Looking forward to see the islands (and my family) again.

For more info look at this site: www.thefaroeislands.info

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:27 AM

This is a beautiful place. I had the opportunity to see the Faroes on a transatlantic cruise in 2004. I was surprised at how beautiful they were given how far north it is.
I was there on a wonderfully sunny day. One of the offerings on the cruis excursions was a visit to a remote island. I did this and it was wonderful. Good hiking and lot's of bird life. Overall this was a place for me to enjoy the scenery not the history.