London to Bath

Old May 20th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London to Bath

We will be in London for 5 days and want to do a day trip to Bath and Stonehenge.

What is the easiest way to get to Bath from London?

We will be staying near the Parsons Green Tube stop if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Donna
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM

hop the Tube or a bus to Paddington from which trains blast to Bath in about 90 mins - one of the few high-speed lines in UK (Bath Spa station) even though it limps along at about 115 mph - slow speed in Continental terms.

Station in heart of town. Buy some kind of day return. Schedules and fares: www.nationalrail.co.uk

Bath to me is one of the very finest towns in Britain - be sure to see Beau Nash's sham!
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:34 AM

Note that 2 singles may be cheaper than a return ticket!
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM

I wouldn't try a day trip to Bath AND Stonehenge.

I'd travel to Bath, stay overnight then return to London via Salisbury for Stonehenge

It should also give you enough time for Avebury which is simply wonderful

www.wdbus.co.uk/htm/ta/index.asp
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 06:23 PM

I suggest arriving early in Bath and then spending the night in Bath and seeing Stonehenge the next day. The Mad Max Tour we took was awesome. It's a full day tour that starts at 8:30 in the morning and lasts until about 5pm. You can book it in advance at their website or at the tourist info center in Bath, but it is sometimes sold out.

They take you to Stonehenge, Avebury, Lacock and Castlecombe, it was the highlight of my trip.

The train is faster, but more expensive unless you have a BritRail pass. We took the bus to Bath, and it took a while (like 3 hours), whereas by train it's an hour and a half.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 08:15 PM

I second the idea of staying overnight in Bath if you want to see Stonehenge. You can walk around Bath and see most of the sites in one day. The Mad Max tour is great! It took us to Stonehenge, Avebury, Castle Coomb & another town that is part of the National Trust. Great Tour!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Although my husband and I typically distain bus tours, we took an Evan Evans one day tour to Winchester, Stonehenge and Bath in a single day, as we were time and transportation constrained. We were pleasantly surprised at the expertise of the guide and the relative ease of the tour. It *was* a long day. We were picked up at our hotel at 7 or 8 AM and left/returned from/to Victoria Station. Bring your own food and water bottle if you think of it. Only down side was the bus had no 'loo on board. Check out the details on the web site.