Search

Safari Clothes

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safari Clothes

If I didn't already have a bunch of khaki, brown and olive green clothes, this would be the season to buy them. H&M, Gap, Old Navy and Target have a large selection of clothes in those colors that would be great for safari. They're inexpensive enough that it wouldn't be upsetting if they got stained, torn or lost, and they could be left behind without too much loss to make room for souvenirs.
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Yep...and you dont really need to be dressed up while on safari. The only exception would be if you are visiting the SSGR lodges in SA.
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Can you elaborate on dressing up at SSGR? Never heard that before.
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM

There is just a more "dinner" ambience at some of the SSGR properties compared to Botswana etc etc.,

Often, there is time between the drive and dinner to shower and change and freshen up........

Just my 2c.......
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM

For the drives at SSGR......same as anywhere.......

I would do smart casual at dinner in the SSGR places........
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM

Anyone know if the Travelor type material from Chico's is too hot for Nov in SA. It packs so well and is so light, but being synthetic can be hot.

I was thinking in terms of black pants for evenings at restaurants or in the lodges.
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:58 AM

I did find that the women (and some of the men) tend to change from safari clothes to more "nice casual" dress when visiting at the private camps in SSGR, i.e., Singita, Londolozi and he likes. For gals, this consisted mostly of slacks and nice sweaters, some of the women wore "slip-type" or sundresses. Men wore white or dark slacks and a nice open collar shirt (no ties, nor required), a few even a sports jacket. No one really "dressed up"

In East Africa, some who visit do likewise - the nice casual route, but most stick with their safari-type clothing. I do the nice casual, with black (or dark) slacks, a sweater, ballet top, costume jewelry and a shawl.

But, there are no rules, i.e. as on a cruise "The Captain's Dinner" - a dress-up affair. Wear what you feel comfortable and what you've brought with you. Nothing special is required.

Old May 7th, 2007, 04:40 AM

At Londolozi there were 2 couples who were dressed as if they'd just finished a photo shoot for an Orvis catalog: dressed equally nattily on both the drives and for dinner. Happily enough, they were absolutely wonderful, down-to-earth safari-goers. Others at Londolozi were dressed far more casually.