Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where can you go with an 8 month old?

Search

Where can you go with an 8 month old?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This might seem really bossy (sorry - I'm just trying to be helpful), but...

Enjoy yourselves, but don't forget to save $$$ for college for your new baby. If you want him or her to be able to attend the college of his/her choice, you'll need at least $300,000, maybe more.

The 18 years fly by.

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 12:39 PM

No advice to offer, but joyous congratulations and best wishes
during your pregnancy!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 01:51 PM

My suggestion is renting a beach house or a cabin.

Babies need to nap often. Sounds like you two just want to get away and relax. Plus, your going to need to haul some baby stuff to make things more comfortable for everyone.

You could read, hike and such without having to trek all over town. By renting a house, you can cook and be in more comfortable surroundings.

Highly recommend buying a hat like this for the baby for great sun protection.

<a href="http://www.rei.com/product/708951">Flap Happy Hat</a>

Good luck.

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 02:02 PM

Not only can your baby wear sunscreen, but there are sunhats, shirts and swimsuits you can buy that actually have spf in the fabric. We took our son to the beach in Mexico at exactly 8 months of age, and he was as white on the way home as he was on the way down. Because it was Mexico we also hauled down all our own food for him, which was a challenge; if you choose a beach stateside that won't be an issue. He loved being held in our arms in the ocean, and slept on the beach in one of those pop up tents. Oh, and buy as much baby stuff off Craigslist as you can. Congratulations, what a happy dilemma to have!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM

Congratulations!

Some people may think this is crazy, but you could consider DisneyWorld.

Depending on the time of year, I would not go in the middle of summer, but April or May would be great.

There are actually some very good restaurants at WDW, especially in the Epcot World Showcase. Some of the hotels are very nice, especially if you are on the monorail. You can just push your stroller right onto the monorail and off you go. My favorite hotel is the Polynesian. There are wonderful restaurants at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian, which is just a short monorail ride away. The Polynesian has beautiful grounds and a wonderful pool that is zero entry, perfect for a little baby.

There are actually rides your baby would enjoy, It's a Small World, Peter Pan, etc. And the shows, and meeting the princesses and the parades!

I know it is not for everyone, but it is an idea.

Happy planning & Best of Luck!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:11 PM

Eight months is a great age to do almost anything with a baby. They are past that absolutely frail newborn stage. They are usually on a nice schedule, and you are sleeping at night again. They are easily amused. If you start taking them to restaurants when they are little, they usually behave pretty well. And they really are a lot of fun at that age.

Any laid-back type of vacation that has a separate room to put the baby to sleep, and a flexible schedule would work. I try to stick to nonstop flights. Babies seem to come with a lot of paraphernalia, so I would plan to stay in one place.

I do agree with the poster who said that things will seem different after the baby. I would not make any nonrefundable deposits on anything until your baby is a few months old. Things just may look different to you. But I also think that babies are easier in some ways than older kids.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 11:24 PM

I too would not do a deposit until after baby was born.

I remember how much fun that age was to go hiking with the backpack with our babies. They were curious and looking around, but not so old they always want to walk around, then ride again.