London/Italy Euro's, Wifi Card

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a couple of questions please.

My son will be arriving in London, and then flying out to Sardinia, Italy. He will transfer from Heathrow to Stansted. Where should he exchange US $'s for Euro's? Is there a place at Heathrow for him to do this? Or, should we get him a few Euro's here, and then just have him use an ATM while on Sardinia?

Also, for his Laptop...is there a special WiFi card that he needs? And if so, should he buy it in Sardinia or try to buy one in the States before leaving?

I appreciate any and all help!

Thnx,

Coden
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:54 AM

I'd say just wait and use an ATM on arrival at Sardinia.

If his laptop is wireless, my experience has been that it will pick up signals, but often you will get a window for "joining" or paying for some local program for x number of minutes. I had little luck last year anywhere finding many "free" wifi spots. But someone else may be able to help more.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:00 AM
P_M

If he needs any British pounds for the transfer within London he can get those at an ATM at the airport. You do realize the UK doesn't use the euro, right?
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:06 AM

if he changes $ into £ then into euros he will lose about half the value.\as the other emailer said, just get a few £ at Heathrow if he needs any.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

I had forgotten that London w/b pounds. Thanks for the reminder. He'll buy a few pounds at Heathrow and then just pull euro's from an ATM after arriving on Sardinia.

Does anyone know if there is a prepaid wireless internet card that we can purchase?

Thnx again!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:22 AM
P_M

You are quite welcome for the reminder.

When you say he will "buy" pounds at Heathrow, I hope you mean he will use the ATM. If he uses the exchange booth he will lose money.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:28 AM

I guess I missed the idea of needing some pounds while transferring in London. How long between flights? I'd assume he'd charge the bus or transfer ticket. What else does he need pounds for -- something to eat? Let's be honest here. Many ATMs (or rather the home bank) will charge him a fee that actually may outweigh the cost of taking a $20 US bill to a change booth and getting change for it (a $5 fee for example is 25%). This is the first time I've ever thought of suggesting that though.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:44 AM
P_M

I thought of that Patrick, but as you and I know, if he uses Bank of America he will pay no fee at Barclays ATMs. My other bank only charges $1, but you bring up a good point. Find out how much the w/d fee is and then make a decision.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

You all are the Best!!

He needs pounds for the transfer from Heathrow to Stansted. And possibly for a bite to eat. He has about 10 hours to make the transfer.

So can he charge his transfer costs on a credit card?

Or should he just remove pounds from the ATM and if so, how much approx. should he get for transfer and a bite to eat?
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:21 AM

I guess that mainly depends on what kind of transfer he is doing, but nearly anything, including shuttles, trains, or busses would take a credit card. And if he's just going to pick up a sandwich and a drink then my original idea of cashing a $20 would cover him.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

I will have him call his bank and see how much it will cost him in fee's to use the ATM in London and in Italy.

Thanks again everyone!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 05:56 PM

When in transit at an airport, I just use a credit card to buy stuff, sometimes very small purchases. No need to get pounds if he's not spending time in Britain.