Paris and Burgundy, Loire, or Bordeaux?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. Four of us girls are heading to France for 11 days (in & out of CDG). This is the first trip for all of us. We have already decided to stay in Paris for the first 5 days and now are trying to figure out what to do with the rest of our trip. We have thought about taking the TGV down to Bordeaux and wandering that area then heading back to Paris. Another thought was renting a car and driving to Loire or Burgundy and maybe Champagne. Or would we still be better off taking train and then renting a car on arrival? Any advice on itenerary? We want to make the most of our time, but have a leisurely and fun trip! Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Take the train to Tours (has two stations, Tours Gare and St. Pierre des Corps), either from Austerlitz (much slower)or from Montparnasse (only a good hour), rent a car, and gallivant about the Loire valley region. Smaller towns like Blois and even smaller ones have nice guesthouses and no-big-deal hotels.

When you have had enough of castles, decide which way to go - to Poitiers and La Rochelle (great place by the ocean!) and up the coast (great countryside!) to Nantes and back to Tours via Angers, or the other way, to Vézelay and Beaune (capital of Burgundy wine country) etc.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 05:13 PM
ILV

Wally - why do you say take a train to Tours then rent a car? Why not rent a car from Paris? We are planning a similar trip in April so would also like to know.

I hear La Rochelle is lovely. Can't wait!!
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 05:12 AM
ira

Hi S,

In general, it is easier to take a train out of Paris and rent a car in a smaller town rather trying to navigate Paris.

In addition to what Wally said, You could also:

a. Train to Dijon, get your car there. See Burgundy

b. Train to Libourne, get your car there. See St. Emilion on your way to the Dordogne.

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:58 AM

We were in Paris and traveled by car to the Loire in September. Had no trouble navigating out of Paris as you head for the Peripherique, a large ring road that circumnavigates Paris and is well-marked.

That way we couild stop when we wished, and we made a long stop in Chartres to have lunch at the Moulin Ponceau and to see the cathedral. We were at our hotel in Onzain (between Blois and Amboise) well before dark.

A car is a must in the Loire if you are going to visit the chateau. Also in areas like Burgundy where much of the charm is in the countryside. I don't see why someone would go to the hassle of traveling by train and then having to get a car.

We very much enjoyed our days in the Loire - many pretty towns and villages, gorgeous castles, and wonderful restaurants. Very tranquil after Paris.

Burgundy is also beautiful and has many interesting places to visit. It will be of special interest if you are into wines and tastings. We stayed in Beaune which was a great central location.

Another destination might be Alsace - also convenient by car from Paris if you are looking for soemthing different. Alsatian villages are a picturesque blend of French and German cultures.

I have several trip reports posted on this site on paris, the Loire and Burgundy.

Have a great trip. No matter which direction you can't go wrong.

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My choice would be Loire unless red wine is your thing (go Bordeaux). Bordeaux is slightly warmer if heat is your thing but normally a sticky heat.

Try the Abbey d'Fontevrau (close to the right spelling) as you get to stay in the priory where richard the lion heart is buried so lots of great history in a small village. If doing for 2 nights book into the unicorn up the hill.

Can I suggest visit Baumard, Brunet for great sweet and dry white wines. For those not in the know we are talking world class wines at sensible prices. I have a wine trail I follow everyother year or so. So come back if interested but you may want to look at buildings

Bordeaux. I suggest try for B&B is a small chateau. I have lists if you want to go here.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

I'm a wine-lover. Mostly into reds. I really enjoy a good pinot or cab/blend. A friend of mine was saying that is a long drive to Burgundy from Paris.
Ira and drbb, how long does it take to drive versus the train to Dijon? If we did the Loire and Burgundy how many days would we need to allow?
If we were to do Bordeaux instead, how many days would we need to allow?

Thank you all for your help. We are heading out March 19...the time is quickly approaching :->
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:30 AM

<that is a long drive to Burgundy from Paris.> It takes 3hours by car and only 1h40 by train (TGV)
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:50 AM

There was another recent thread about Bordeaux - and the overwhealming opinion was to skip it - in favor of the Dordogne.

My wife & I visit France at least twice a year most years - 5 weeks in June & 4 weeks in Sept. We always take trains to our first destination from Paris if we land at CDG or stay in Paris. We find it much more enjoyable & less stressful than trying to navigate a car in or around Paris.

I think 6 days is too long in the Loire. My wife & I are castle fanatics (we visited ofer 30 last year), and we even get castled-out after about 5 Renaissance Chateaux in the Loire.

The two places we return to the most often are Povence (3 hrs each way from Paris by TGV), and the Dordogne. Six days in one of these regions would be perfect. We like Provence in late June/early July with the lavender & sunflowers in bloom. Early fall is our favorite time in the Dordogne.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Another vote for the TGV to Dijon / Burgundy.

Incredible medieval towns, great wine, rolling hills...Dijon is one of my fave cities, too.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM

I have done a 10+ day tour of Loire, leavig out of Paris. In my innocence, I rented a car on rue Rivoloi, right across from Louvre. Driving out of Paris was interesting and fun, but you have to be of the "right frame of mind" to do it. From what I've read here, people rent from CDG, so you coudl visit Paris (before or after)and do your pick-up/drop-off there.

I used the Michelin Green Guide as my route planner. Coming from Paris I stopped at Fontevraud and Fontainebleau. I did the Loire East to West- form Orleans to Angers. At the end of trip, on the way back to Paris I stopped by to Chartres and Giverny (Monet).

I went in August, so the fields were well advanced. Mix in the towns with the Chateaux...Chinon, Amboise,and Blois were interesting. Chateaux I liked were Chenonceau, Chinon, Amboise, Blois, Usse, Villandry...

I found accomodations to be cheap compared to Paris, and I found it rewarding to eat and drink the local products.

Hope this gives you some options

Mike
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 04:59 AM

Loire Reds have wide range from Chinon to Suamur Champigny. Normally Cabernet Franc or Pinot or some Merlot.

Strangly most seem to be on the Southbank and will be terroir based more than fruit based.

Bordeaux region will give you cabernet Suavignon, franc, merlot, petit verdot based and if good will be generaly more complex but aprices rise and the growers get more intense about their product. SO on the Loire you will find the owner will be the maker will the guy who sells you the wine (big generalisation but you know what I mean)

In Bordeaux in the high price areas ieNW of the city on the south bank we are talking serious money and so talking to suits. If you go to the lower cost areas it premier cote de bordeaux you are back to the simpler guys and of course the wine gets simpler.

Its worth knowing that while the Napoleonic laws meant that larger estates in France were traditionally split up the effect has been far higer in Burgundy than in Bordeaux. Lots of economic facts but in Burgundy the wines come fro people who pakage small amounts of wine together form owners of land often no bigger than my garden while in Bordeaux the vinyards have stayed together so the company that makes the wine grew the vine.

All three areas are good. For my mind the great difference between the three is that the Loire has the Chenin Blanc and while this is a great wine in South Africa it is on common in US and so try it. The sweet and the dry but look for older more expensive ones and you may suddnely only like whites
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 05:18 AM
ira

Hi S,

A. It doesn't matter which region you go to, as you will be able to taste wines from all of France at any decent wine bar.

B. You won't go wrong if you choose:
Bordeaux and the Dordogne, The Loire and points South, Burgundy and/or Alsace.

If you do the last, you can fly into Paris and out of Stuttgart or Basel/Mulhouse.

C. I suggest picking your region by what it is you would like to see and do.

You are going to have to get out some guidebooks.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Ira, french wines do not travel far so while there will be alsace wines in Bordeaux there will be few and not well understood so take care.

My own preference for shopping would be Bordeaux and I checked with my significant other and her advice is that 4 women would have more fun in Bordeaux than the other two.

Good luck
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Ira's comment about being able to taste wines from all regions of France in any wine bar is simply not true. It is difficult enough to find Alsatian wines, for example, in a wine shop in the Dordogne, let alone in a wine bar!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 12:06 PM

>>My own preference for shopping would be Bordeaux and I checked with my significant other and her advice is that 4 women would have more fun in Bordeaux than the other two.<<

I think shopping in Bordeaux will be a little "lacking", after 5 days in Paris. Go someplace different. I would still vote for Provence or the Dordogne.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM

I agree with Stu about the shopping in Bordeaux. It all depends, really, on what city or town you compare it to and what you are planning to shop for.