Marabella or Estepona

Search

Marabella or Estepona

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marabella or Estepona

We're planning to drive from Sevilla to Ronda, stay in Ronda one night and then drive to either Marabella or Estepona and stay one night there before heading back to Sevilla.

We're looking for a place with scenery to relax. We're wondering which town better fits our criteria of wanting to be in town with character to walk around and enjoy architecture, some shopping, restaurants etc.

So, Marabella or Estepona for a brief visit? Opinions, please! Thanks!

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Hi,

Estepona would be my choice, but definitely stop in Marbella. It is glitzy, touristy, but beautiful. The Costa del Sol is much like the French and Italian Riviera. Any of the smaller towns along the Costa del Sol would be great. Check out the museums in Malaga!

I would highly recommend Frances Mayes' (Under the Tuscan Sun, Bella Tuscany) latest book, "A Year in the World." She spent a year traveling around Europe and has a wonderful chapter on southern Spain.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM

We spent a week in Marbella and had a lovely time.

Woody
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 11:15 AM

"Costa del Sol is much like the French and Italian Riviera" - from what I have seen I am not so sure about this. I was very surprised at how (over) developed the Costa del Sol is - it seemed to me that from Marbella eastward it was just loaded with condos and restaurants advertising "Bangers and Mash" - Spanish ambience had disappeared. To the west towards Gibraltar seemed pleasanter. I have been along the French Riviera (near Nice) and also around the CT in Italy and neither of those locations seemed so overloaded with condos.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:08 PM

I haven't stayed in Estepona, but have in Marbella, and like it very much. Yes, it's a bit "touristy," but I still think it's nice. I've been to the French and Italian Riviera and IMO they are quite different. There are parts of Costa del Sol that are wonderful, and there are parts that are way too built up and remind me of Miami Beach. Marbella is not one of the later (IMO).
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the opinions and recommendations!

Much of our time in Spain will be spent in large cities (Seville and Barcelona), so a less touristy location, which may be quieter does seem appealing. But, I'm glad to hear so many think Marbella is appealing. So, we probably couldn't lose either way we go.

Any hotel recommendations in Marbella or Estepona?
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 07:58 PM

We enjoyed Benalmadena-Costa as a scenic, quiet seaside resort with a lovely boardwalk area for sunset strolls. There are ocean front grills and cafes dotting the promenade, some very pricey and touristy; others quaint. great steaks and fresh seafood, at any rate. The seafood is priced by the pound, much to our surprise. It's an easy drive into the white village of Ronda, or to the ancient city of Cordoba, with an old Roman bridge.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the hotel recommendation Virgogirl! Any others?
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, Audie - i've never been to either, but nothing I've read about Marbella would make me touch it with a barge-pole unless you like lot of tourists with lots of money.

we stayed in Malaga when we went to Granada last year - loved it! Really spanish, hardly any tourists, great atmosphere, shops, museums, market - and that was in half a day!

Regards, Ann
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Audie79, Benalmadena-Costa was actually the name of the little seaside village. There were numerous vacation villas and rental condos with patios or balconies overlooking the ocean. The village was very clean, and we loved the beautiful roses and flowering trees. I agree, Marbella seemed too ritzy for us. We did fly into Malaga from London, but found it too industrial for a base, with a beer factory (San Miguel) and some iffy areas.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:41 AM

Of course, like every city, Malaga has some less desirable areas [and in our attempts to find the autostrada to Granada, i think we found all of them] but the centre is very attractive, with lots of quite posh shops, restaurants, tapas bars, a habour, etc.

I'd still prefer it to the glamour of Marbella.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:22 AM

We are actually staying in Marbella right now, in the Old own. It is January and not busy. We have enjoyed it immensely, have not seen many tourists or glitzy people, or many people at all for that matter. Drove to Ronda today which was wonderful! Snow on the peaks and along the road. We are staying at La Villa Marbella and I can´t recommend Marcos and his staff too highly! They have been wonderful (tiny boutique hotel in Old Town - free internet, great breakfast, wonderful rooms and bathrooms. Rooms are a bit small but perfectly appointed!)
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:06 AM

we stayed in marbella 2 yrs ago for 5 nights... estepona was beautiful but i say marbella... marbella is MUCH closer to puerto banus which has all the restaurants etc.... estepona shuts down at 11 which was a poblem for us.... but again was beautiful. malaga was nice too.... but might be a bit far.... marbella is picturesque but i dont remember walking around anywhere except by stores and bars (but that was also what kind of trip it was!!)
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Burlview - I looked into La Villa Marbella and it was my top choice, but they don't have any rooms open the night we will be visiting! I was disappointed. Still haven't found another hotel that I'm excited about.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:59 AM

We are taking the ferry to Algeciras, will rent a car then visit Gibraltar,good adice to leave car at border -- we need accommodation that evening nearby, any suggestions...
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 12:38 PM

hi, sando,

I suggest that you repost, starting your own thread.

but most OPs will also suggest that gibraltar is not worth the trip!

regards, ann
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM

ann is correct -- not worth the trip.

Woody
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 06:24 AM

Estepona has more of a traditional spanish charm to is
it. Not as glitzy and pretentious as marbella and puerto banus, but still has great shops, boutiques, restaurants, nightlife and clean beaches.

Enjoy!
Beachfront accommodation-holiday lets:
www.golf-beachrentalspain.co.uk
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 06:41 AM

golfbeach

Please note you are reponding to a five year old question.

Since you look like a commercial enterprise which is not permitted, I hope you answer you real clients sooner.