Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Will I be cold at Savegre? Are there heat in the standard rooms?

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're leaving in TWENTY DAYS!!! and I made this "impromptu" last minute itinerary change...I decided to skip over Monteverde and spend 2 nights in the Savegre area instead. I HOPE I didn't make the wrong decision!!! I seriously hope I didn't!

Anyway, I'm trying to decide between Trogon vs. Savegre Hotel. Trogon advertises heat in the rooms and Savegre does not. I have asked them a few times if they have heat in the rooms but they seem to keep avoiding that question.

I read that some junior suites have fireplaces at Savegre...but I'm looking at a standard room...do you know if the standard rooms have heat or fireplaces?

I'm ALWAYS cold...so if I can't get a response to this issue, I may just have to go to Trogon...although people on this forum seem to prefer Savegre.

PLEASE TELL ME IF I'm GOING TO BE COLD AT NIGHT AT SAVEGRE!!!

THANKS EVERYONE.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 11:48 AM

Yes, Savegre has heat and we've never been cold there. The temps are cool, particularly in the evenings--the altitude is high.

The beds have plenty of nice warm blankets and every room has a radiator. The junior suites have fireplaces, but ours didn't work (stay lit) last time. We really didn't need it. You'll enjoy yourself! Be sure and do some birding with Marino or Melvin--excellent guides--the hike up through the cloud forest is other worldly! Wish I were there right now!
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 12:32 PM

There was an electric heater in our cabin at Savegre. It seemed to be enough and I am like you about always being cold.

I wear a light fleece when I am up that way at least part of the time.

Difference between the two.....not much. The grounds are a little prettier at Trogon. The people at Savegre are great.

It will be a very different place than Monteverde. Monteverde/Santa Elena actually has a town with restaurants, bakery etc. San Gerardo de Dota is just a place. It seems almost like Shangri la as you decend down into the beautiful valley. It isn't that far down as it is still at about 7,000ft but it is 3,000ft lower than the main road. There are just a very few small lodges down in there. This is apple growing country so you will see fruit trees.

Ask about the private finca quetzal tour. The avocado trees may be in fruit when you are there. I have never seen so many quetzals in my life as I did there. When we pulled into the parking lot one flew right over our heads. We then walked a very short distance and just stood/sat and watched multiple pairs fly all around us and perch in the trees right in front of us.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info....it sounds like I should be ok as long as they have a space heater.

Still scared I made the wrong choice about scrapping Monteverde, but too lazy to change everything back now and plus I will confuse everyone.

Can't wait to go!!
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM

You will have a wonderful time!!!!!

No regrets. You won't see it all anyway so just enjoy what you do see. It will all be new and exciting and you can plan another trip to see more . After 14 years I still haven't seen it all. I think I keep holding back a little because I am afraid I won't want to go back if there isn't something new to see. I really shouldn't worry about that, nature is constantly on the move and ever changing.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 12:58 PM

gailching,
Like you, we went to Savegre before visiting Monteverde, and Savegre is still our destination of choice between the two. Monteverde is nice, but crowded (as far as crowds in Costa Rica go). The Rio Savegre is beautiful, you'll enjoy hiking up to the falls, or riding horseback, maybe even trout fishing! It is very peaceful and picturesque at Savegre--and you can say you've been somewhere in Costa Rica that most people will never see--hopefully! Take your binoculars--Marino (or Melvin) will make a birder out of you forever!