Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy in June: pants too hot? gauchos or capri?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to Italy (Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, and Venice) in June. I want to be comfortable, but since I am mid-50's I do not want to wear shorts except hiking in Cinque Terre. Will pants be too hot? Would gauchos or capris work better or a skirt? Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 05:07 PM

We travelled last September and I took mostly capri pants. They were great and definitely acceptable to enter churches. I took one pair of long pants and wore them to the Vatican. Still saw people inside of the Basilica and during the Scavi tour wearing capris.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 05:10 PM

Hello,

Skirts are excellent or you can wear lightweight pants, such as linen or light cotton. In Europe, I like to stay with the classic looks, such as Ann Taylor or Talbots, for example, because the Italians and French are so fashionable. I feel more comfortable in a classic style. Capri pants and/or gauchos cut across our calves and make our legs look shorter! Wear some nice sandals with good walking soles and enjoy!

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Hi julieann,I was in Rome the first 10 days of June last year. It was cool the first couple days and got warmer each day thereafter. I wore capris,gauchos,and skirts with short-sleeved shirts ,along with a shawl(pashmina)when needed. Invest in very good walking shoes. I wore eccos cosmo II(zappos.com). They were wonderful!
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Eccos cosmo II have to be one of the ugliest sandals ever. Not only ugly but open sandals in crowded, dirty streets of Rome is not practical whatsoever. Not a good choice if it happens to rain either...Whatever comfortable shoe you choose, make sure toes are protected and they can dry real fast. Take more than one pair. Flowy skirts are more popular than ever; take a couple.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Viajero2, Have you ever actually worn ecco cosmo sandals in Rome,in June? My daughter and I did for 10 days straight.Our long daily walks included all of centro storico,with quite some time at the forum. Since we bathe daily, the small amount of dust that gathered between our toes was not the least bit of a problem. Moreover,the open-toe design kept our feet much cooler. Of course, "ugly" is a matter of personal opinion. We personally think they are very attractive.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Viajero2, I have to say I agree with Genie. I love my ecco cosmo sandals; they are cute and my feet never got dirty or sore! On the subject of shoes… here is a link to the posting that originally helped me make my shoe decision! http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34774508
And here is a helpful post:

Author: dmkujat
Date: 03/22/2006, 02:35 pm
I bought the Ecco Cosmo II (also on Zappos) 3 years ago when we went to Rome in July (this was on the advice from a good shoe store in our town). I was NOT disappointed. Those cobblestones can cause you to twist an ankle in no time, and these sandals were very stable and very comfortable. I have foot problems and I walked in these all day with no blisters! Since then, I have purchased 4 more pairs in different colors. They are my "go to" sandal for summer walking.

Good luck!
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 08:33 AM

Eccos cosmo II have to be one of the ugliest sandals ever. Not only ugly but open sandals in crowded, dirty streets of Rome is not practical whatsoever. Not a good choice if it happens to rain either...Whatever comfortable shoe you choose, make sure toes are protected and they can dry real fast. Take more than one pair. Flowy skirts are more popular than ever; take a couple.

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Here is another good source for active travel clothes; still stylish for the city: www.sahalie.com (I don't work for them!) But I order from them for trips. I bought two of the "strider skirts"- made of a mid-weight jersey they have a long zipper up one side. Nifty! Go into a church and zip it down to lower calf length, then for hiking with it unzipped all the way I found it more comfortable than my capris for hiking in Hawaii. It also has a hidden waist little pocket just the size for a passport, credit card and some cash. We hiked the CT 5- village trail and it is beautiful. I wore my Keen sandals and the traction was fine. Lucky you!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Forget the shape the answer is always LINEN. Now to get the shape right look at mixes with LINEN
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 01:02 AM

hi,julieann,i think breathable,soft and gentle linen or cotton pants should be good. Have a wonderful holiday.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 02:35 AM

This thread is 4+ years old.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 03:59 AM

Yes, but what a great title... pants too hot! I couldn't resist looking at it.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 04:21 AM

I also noticed belatedly that this is an old thread; but since I'd written stuff by then, I might as well post it in case it's useful to anyone else...

I always think skirts (cotton or linen) are much cooler - airier, if you know what I mean You see quite a few capri pants in Italy too, but I find skirts comfier.

On the comfy footwear for hot weather in cities debate (although I know you didn't even ask about this) getting my first pair of Fit Flops last year changed my life ! I can quite happily walk all day every day for 2 weeks in these. I now have 3 pairs of the flip flop style (Walkstar III black/red patent for daytime), about to order my 2nd pair of shoes and looking forward to buying boots in the autumn.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 04:34 AM

4 years old but very timely. I love Ecco Cosmos and alternate them with Ecco Yucatan sandles. Both look good with capris and skirts. And both keep your feet cooler than closed shoes. While I find skirts nice for evening, I prefer capris for daytime as we do a lot of walking, hiking, etc.