First time to Cancun

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to Cancun

We are taking our first trip to Cancun(end of March 2007). I spend hours upon hours researching hotels..I'm amazed how one traveler can give a rating of 1 but then another traveler gives it a 5.This drives me nuts trying to pick the right hotel.

First, I've been using expedia,travelocity,orbitz,trip advisor and kayak as reference guides to pick hotels and flights..Does anybody recommend these sites or recommend any other sites.Also, can you get a better deal through a travel agent.

Second, once you get off the plane . What is the best/easy/cost transporation to the "hotel zone" lagoon.

Third, most important, the choices of hotels.My wife, daughter and I would like to stay somewhere on the beach side not the lagoon side.Cost is somewhat of a issue but I rather know more about your recommendations and experiences with the hotel,which part of the beach you liked,if you included the all-inclusive package, etc.

Please help me out if you can.In exchange I will give you all the advice on traveling to Syracuse,NY.

HAH HAH HAH HAH
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM

The cheapest way to get to the hotel zone would be by shuttle. We have used an outfit called Best Day with good results. A shared shuttle should run about $9 per person and a private shuttle should be about $45 total (one way). A very good moderately priced all inclusive resort is the Golden Parnassus (we stayed there when it was called the Golden Crown Paradise). The Gran Melia Cancun is an excellent resort, where I believe the all-inclusive option is offered but not mandatory. Both resorts sit on the ocean side, in the heart of the hotel zone and both have excellent beaches (as most resorts do).
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:43 AM

March is also college spring break. Whatever hotel you may be interesteed in, you should inquire if it's a 'spring break' destination. If it is it may not be for you.

We once stayed in Cancun during Spring Break, but our hotel was not affected (Sun Palace). There were many spring breakers on the airport transfer bus and on the tour we took to Isla Mujeres. My DH & I were by far the oldest on the best, and the only ones, besides our kids), who weren't drinking beer!

We've also been down in PLayacar during that time, and there wasn't any spring breakers to be seen or heard. Many of the resorts don't allow it.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM

that's "oldest on the bus", not "oldest on the best"
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:32 AM

here's advice from a spoiled hotel snob , these are the places I'd stay, and you should have no problems with spring breakers:
Marriott Casa Magna (some construction now, but should be finished by March)

Hilton

LeMeridien

Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach

JW Marriott (if outside constructiton on next door Cancun Palace is finished.)

Ritz Carlton (best hotel in town)

Mayakoba (just south of Cancun)

If those are out of your budget, and springtime is expensive, which is why we go in summer, I'd look at

The Hyatt Caribe
Gran Melia
Fiesta Americana Condesa

I've never done all inclusive, but would avoid al's during spring break.

And definitely Avoid Oasis properties!
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 04:33 PM

If cost is a factor, you can try Priceline. The downside is you don't know which property you'll get.

I'll be at the Westin for $70/nt+ next week.

If you decide on this route, be sure to check out betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com for ideas on bidding parameters/strategies.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Oh, I forgot to say I'll be in SYR, Thanksgiving night, the day after I get back from Cancun. What's there to do in the airport area? ;-)
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:46 PM
ekt

I've heard that you can take a shuttle from the airport to the hotel zone, but that you have to take a taxi back to the airport. ANYONE KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE??
PS: Good job on the Westin price. We're staying there next month at $240/night.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 06:41 AM

We like the hilton...No spring Breakers..Great beach..great service..great pool...on site food is a bit high priced...but your at a resort..they have their own golf course..easy cab or bus to downtown area..
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Just returned from Cancun last night. Airport transportation for 4 travelers was $65US round trip in a private car with Cancunvalet. They also handled Mexican cell phone rentals at a very reasonable price. The ride was on time, clean and the phones were delivered in the car. I can't say enough about how wonderful their service was. By the way, stayed at Casa Magna, and it was lovely, but the beach is not "back" yet. Jagged rocks, showing from eroded areas. You can still find places to play in the waves, just be aware of where you don't want to land.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM

You've received good suggestions above.

We used worryfreevacations and funjet to book our kid's vacations. The airfare was very cheap as were the rooms. You can book hotel only or air only.

The shared shuttle sounds like your best bet.

And I would DEFINATELY find out if your hotel of choice is a spring break destination. I wouldn't go there for free if it is. Drunk kids all around and on the buses.

Playa del Carmen and Tulum are alternatives if you decide not to stay in Cancun over spring break.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:26 PM

before the spelling police get me...."DEFINITELY call...."
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:52 AM

..question to those of you who just stayed at the Casa Magna. It keeps popping up as a pretty good place to stay. We're booked at the Omni early Feb and it looks fantastic, but am having second thoughst after reading about unsupervised kids in the hot tubs running all over the place. I don't need that for the two of us on vaca. AND..how close are the clubs and good rstaurants from that area...3 miles? More..less?
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Azwurth,
Stick with the Omni. You will miss most if not all spring breakers. You may hit Pres. Day weekenders depending on your travel dates. It is very nice, and close to every thing.

Have fun.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 03:20 PM

azwurth, I'd definitely pick the Casa Magna over the Omni, but then I'm a little picky when it comes to hotels. It just doesn't look all that great on the drive by...the Casa Magna is definitely a notch up.
And the cancun valet was a great recommendation. They're good!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 04:28 AM

I've stayed at Casamagna twice and loved it both times. It was before the hurricane so I can't comment on current beach conditions. Had three boy there and they had a good time. A bit bored at times, but still had a good time. The ocean is a bit rough at times along the Cancun beaches. It 's much calmer down towards Playa and the Riviera. You can rent boogie boards however....which was great fun for the kids.
The great thing about Casamagna is that I think all rooms have a great view. We never had an "oceanfront" room. BOth times we had rooms that looked more towards the JW next door. But, on the deck there were awesome views of both the lagoon and the ocean. It made you feel like you were on an island. The hotel itself was beautiful and the people VERY nice.

There are activities by the pool daily....making salsa, hair braiding, fashion shows. FUN! Have a good time! cmara