Floating Market & Elephant treks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like most people on this board have used a guide to go to the floating market. I just read a post that the favored guides on this board were all booked the same days that we're in BKK. So I guess hiring a guide is out of the question for us.

But will we still be able to go to the floating market? How far is it and would it be possible to take a taxi there?

In regards to the elephant treks, my husband really wants to take a ride on the elephants. Where would we be able to do this in Bangkok?

We're making a stop in Chaing Mai as well, so should I just save the elephant trek for there?

Thanks!

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:40 AM

You do not need a guide for the floating market - just a driver. Save the elephant ride for Chiang Mai.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:39 AM

We used Julie Taxi to go to the floating market. She has several drivers and should be able to take you whenever you want to go.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:41 PM

Your hotel can set up a driver for the floating market. There is no reason to have a guide there.

If your husband wants to ride an elephant, he can do this in Ayuttaya.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:37 PM

taxi is possilbe and hotel cars are another possibility...or call AAC limo....
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:50 AM

The elehant trek near Bangkok is much more a tourist thing from what I have heard on our 3 trips to Thailand. Save it for Lampang about 45 minutes outside CM. It is as close to the "real deal" if you are taling of a 2-3 hour trek.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM

There is a Elephant Village near the floating market (around 10 minutes car ride from floating market) where you can get a ride for 600B/p but our driver manage to get a discount fo us. So, 500B/person. Yeah!!

The elephant ride is around 30 minutes where the elephant will walk you through a path with trees beside you. (they said jungle but for me is just a path with trees beside). Then, the elephant will walk through a pool of water which is quite deep. The elephant is 80% immerse in the water. Only the head is above it. So, quite an experience for us. It is the highlight of our trip. Ver memorable!

You can also get a ride at the Sampahan elephant ground and zoo. where it cost 50B only but the ride is only few minutes. Where the elephant will take you in a circle. That all.

That if only you want to take it in Bangkok. Where we did, since we went to Bangkok only. But according to most fodorites, it is better to take the ride at Chiang Mai.