Venice Hotels: Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay in Venice, middle of May? If not specific hotels, what about location?
We're looking at spending 150-200 euros a night at most.
Thanks!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 08:43 AM

I just found this place for us in April 2007, http://www.sanmoise.it/ - it has great reviews and is only 130E per night, May will be more expensive. I definitely recommend staying in the San Marco area to get the true Venetian experience. We stayed at Hotel Gallini last year but it is being remodeled and they don't have a confirmed opening date yet. http://www.veniceby.com/gallini/index.html

www.veniceby.com is a great place to look for bookings, you can send one request and multiple hotels will reply.

Good luck!!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the reply--i'll check those options out!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 09:29 AM

IMO I would not choose to stay in the San Marco area - too crowded. We have stayed several times in the Dosoduro (sp?)area. It is easy to walk to San Marco across the Accademia bridge but is a quieter area. I like the area along the Zattare. We have stayed at Pensione Accademia and La Calcina - I probably liked Pensione Accademia better BUT La Calcina looks out onto Zattare and has a great little roof top garden where you can sit and watch the sunset (plus it is cheaper). Both book up quickly!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 09:59 AM

I concur with suec1 - We stayed at the Pensione Accademia last June and it was great to avoid the crowds close to San Marco. It was certainly close enough to everything we wanted to go to, and a vaporetto stop right at the Accademia Bridge.

KC

P.S. For us it was either Pensione Accademia or La Calcina.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 10:08 AM

It's definitely not necessary to stay in San Marco but it does provide for a more central location if you are limited on time. We usually travel to Europe the first part of April so we aren't dealing with many tourists yet, the advice to stay at Pensione Accademia may be great for that time of year. We have also stayed on Lido and it was beautiful but in my opinion the incovenience of taking a water taxi to get to the main sites in Venice is not worth it when your time is limited. You should be able to find a nice place in either of the areas mentioned for your budget.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I appreciate the help so much. It is so nerve wracking to plan a trip like this, and this board makes it so much less stressful.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 10:17 AM
GBC

If we were to return to Venice, my first choice would be Pensione Accademia. You are lucky to be planning way ahead because rooms there book up very early. Your budget will be a little tight but should cover it.

Whatever you select, be assured that anywhere in Venice will be wonderful.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 10:03 AM
KWP

We were in Venice last month. A couple from England we met in a restaurant loved the hotel they were staying in. They offered to show us. We were very impressed. It is a 2 star property on a small canal. Hotel al Ponte Mocenigo is the name. www.alpontemocenigo.com They found the hotel in a London newspaper trip review. Their room was beautiful with a compact balcony on the canal. The breakfast room was delightful.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 11:49 AM

We stayed at the Al Ponte Mocenigo in July. The owners are very friendly and helpful.

We ate breakfast outside in a small but lovely patio area. Inside seemed more like a bar area to us. No one ate inside anyway since the weather was beautiful while we were there. The European breakfasts were good with croissants, yogurt, cheese, fruit, cereal,juice and coffee and tea.

The first room we had (a gold room) was very nice (serene and nicely decorated) with a view of the very small canal (not a rental point IMO). The room beside us was nicely decorated also and had the small balcony. I noticed another upstairs room which overlooked the patio area and a room beneath it on the first floor which had several large glass doors or windows which looked out at the patio. Try not to get the red room or any other room which faces the building across the narrow alleyway. We had the red room for our last night and it was dreary and dark due to the proximity of the building wall, not to mention the distraction of all that bold red.

Although we enjoyed staying at the hotel - it was a short walk to the Rialto and the vaporetto stop, I think I would choose a different hotel if we ever go back to Venice.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Under no condition, would I recommend San Moise. Hugely overpriced for what you get-the staff there leave a lot to be desired, like lying to guests about the accomodations when they feel like it, and moving you to another hotel without telling you in advance. Forget that one.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:55 PM

We've been to Venice twice and both times stayed at Albergo Paganelli. Depending on your type of room the price range may be OK, and it is very convenient. It's very close to the upscale Danieli but 1/3 the price, and right on the vaporetto stop.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 01:38 PM

On my first trip to Venice we stayed at the Hotel Metropole on the Riva degla Schiavoni next to La Pieta church (where Vivaldi taught and where they regularly hold Vivaldi concerts), so it is a few hundred metres from the worst of the San Marco crowding. We had a standard room which was comfortable and attractive.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Sorry, forgot to post website

http://metropole.hotelinvenice.com/

We splashed out on a water taxi from the airport and it was great to arrive at the Hotel's own landing
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 05:13 PM

We liked Casa Rezzonico in Dosodouro-small, quaint hotel. http://www.casarezzonico.it/
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Our family also enjoyed our stay (end of June, 2006) at Casa Rezzonico in Dorsoduro. This pensione is located in a quiet area along side a small canal. It is about a 3-4 minute walk to the Ca'Rezzonico Fondamenta where you can board Vaporetto No. 1 to most any place you want to go.

Four years ago (month of May), we stayed at the Hotel Flora in San Marco. Many posters like this hotel, and it is well-located, but it wasn't a good match for us.

I am so glad we chose the Dorsoduro section this year...it is definitely less "touristy." The crowds in the San Marco area can be overwhelming.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Owned by the same proprietors at the Pensione Accademia is the Best Western Hotel Ala. Very nice, in your price range, huge breakfast. Located at the Giglio vaparetto stop if you have a map. It's San Marco, but away from the worst crowds. We think this is a great hotel, and it is in your price range.

I'm not sure that the Metropole is, but if you can stay there, I thought it was fabulous. I was, however, on someone else's dime, and can't afford to stay there when I'm paying myself. But it is a very nice hotel.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM

If you are staying a few days, think about finding an apartment. You get more space and freedom, have a chance to feel like a native, and spend less money as well. There are many different sizes and types available. In your search engine, use words like, 'holiday flats, venice' or 'self catering, venice'.
Stay away from St Marco area unless you just like crowds, spending money, and feeling like a tourist.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:57 PM

I agree with tuscanlifeedit, the Hotel Ala is in a terrific location. It was one of my choices this year, but the price wasn't right.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:17 AM

Marianna, I am staying at Al Ponte Montecigo when I visit Venice next summer---am curious, why wouldn't you stay there again? Thanks--

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -