Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving today for Netherlands/Belgium!! Quick question about Ypres...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all! We leave this afternoon for 11 days in the Netherlands and Belgium - so excited!! I just want to say a quick thanks to everyone who has answered my questions and to all of the others who have posted their thoughts, stories, and recommendations for the Low Countries. All of your advice is invaluable.

So, let me pick your brains one last time... We'll be in Brugge for 2 days, and we think it would be an incredibly moving experience to visit Ypres. Because of our short time in Brugge, I would only want to spend half a day at Ypres. Is this feasible? Is it easy enough to travel there by train or taxi?

Thank you!
Meredith
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:32 AM

Quasimodo tours does a bus trip to Ypres but it's from 9-5 (a bit longer than you would like).

http://www.quasimodo.be/bustrips.htm

By train I believe it's roughly 1h45m (with one change) each way. By car, I believe it's about 1 hour each way.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:44 AM

There are trains from Brugge to Ieper (Ypres) every hour and the same for return.

We've been to Ieper 3 times and have incredibly moved each time.

Belgian railways have some great specials. If you want to see more of the cemetaries in the surrounding countryside..TyneCot, etc, there are inexpensive , short tours leaving from the In Flander's Fields Museum .
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:49 AM

To really be moved you might be able to stay for "Last Post" at 8PM every evening..the last train back to Brugge leaves at 21:39
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:50 AM

If you only have a half day to spare, go in the afternoon, visit the Flanders Fields Museum in the Cloth Hall and the Menin Gate. Stay for the Last Post at the Menin Gate and take the last train back.

There is much more to see in the area surrounding Ypres, including the Tyne Cot Cemetery (the largest of many), the St. Julien Memorial and others. If you think that you can spare the time, take the Quasimodo Tour as recommended by beanweb24.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Have a great trip !
Looking forward to your trip report - lots of details please so take notes on the way