Search

Fall Foliage (Redux)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fall Foliage (Redux)

I am leveraging off some earlier posts.

Considering flying up to New England for a long weekend - 10/5-10/9. Would like to spend the first couple of days roaming viewing the foliage. However, I do not have a clue about areas where to look for lodging. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:11 AM
bm

You want to be Northern New England, especially Vermont & NH. Many places get booked months in advance for the holiday weekend. I'd start calling around for availability. Try the White River Junction/Lebanon, NH area, the Burlington, VT area, or Rutland, VT.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thaks for the reply. That helps me get more focused on geography. I been looking around Stowe and Burlington. Also, any suggestions on specific places to stay (or not stay) are welcome.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Check foliage reports for Burlington and Stowe. Both are great places. We liked the location of Golden Eagle Resort (more like a very nice motel) in Stowe but for roaming around I think both places are too far north and there will be very heavy traffic between Waterbury and Stowe. We expect that to be peak color in the Concord NH area. We already have quite a bit of color but it's spotty. If you stayed in a central VT or NH location you can easily head north or south depending on the color. Maybe something in the Quechee/Woodstock area if you can get reservations at this late date. You could also make a loop thru NH's White Mountains from that area.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 04:34 AM

LDLee:

I think you should consider further south than Burlington - I think they are at-or-near peak right now, and by next week will be past. Try mid-to Southern Vermont or NH.

Cyn
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 04:43 AM

You'll probably want to fly into Burlington VT or Manchester NH. Check the fares, flying into Burlington can be expensive, because unlike Manchester NH, we don't have Southwest Airlines
to bring the prices down. I don't know if you are familiar with Burlington, its
a college town with a closed off pedestrian way. It has nice restaurants but the lodging situation is really lacking.I like the Franconia Notch NH area. Its hard to say if it will be a little past peak. You can always drive south. Sugar Hill NH is a nice little New England town.Stowe is a little too much hussle and bussle for me. Many people consider Woodstock VT a nice typical New England town. It certainly
isn't typical, but its what many people are looking for. I would imagine that the weekend you are talking about and the following one are the busiest weekends of the season, so make sure you can get a reservation and a car.
Good luck.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate all the feedback. I have provided my wife a list of places that are still available. If there is any other guidance you guys have, I will appreciate it.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:43 AM

You can also try western MA - near Rte 91 - then you have easy access to VT as well........
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM

In Southwestern Connecticut is seems like the 'colors' are late this year. Only a few trees, mostly in the swampier areas, have turned. The hills are still almost entirely green.

The lovely little lavendar flowers that usually accompany the height of the fall colors are already in bloom.

By October 12th, the Litchfield Hills should be lovely. In Danbury, The Courtyard by Marriott (at exit 8, off I84) and the Comfort Inn Suites (at exit 2, off I84) have been well reviewed on Trip Advisor.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:59 AM

I'm pretty sure Oct 5 will be too early for Mass.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your help. We, actually my wife, decided we should go to Seattle for the long weekend.