Search

NC-Raleigh ARea

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NC-Raleigh ARea

I have posted before about moving, but now I have somewhat narrowed it down to the Raleigh Area/Wake County.I have been in touch with the schools and after talking ,I feel that this school district could offer my son much more than here in NJ.I need some advice as to where we should look for a house. I would like a piece of property at aleast 1/2 acre.I am not against a development if they have bigger lots.
Thanks
Melissa
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Oh, boy. The Wake County schools are experiencing massive amount of growth. This year they had 7,200 more students than last year.

With this huge influx of new students, there are some problems associated with growth. New schools are being built, but are overcrowded when open and have trailers (if that bothers you) in addition to regular classroom space.

The system is about to change a few dozen traditional calendar schools (elementary and middle school) to year-round schedule. Some people love year-round, some don't. Some residents are vocal about not changing to year-round and are planning protests. If you have only one child, it might be easier than if you hvae more because the kids might not be on the same school calendar.

I would recommend you start reading the newspaper online (Raleigh News & Observer) and tv station reports (WRAL and NBC-17 are Raleigh based, WTVD wants to be Raleigh based) to see how this debate goes. There is also a schools bond issue on the ballot in November (close to $1B). If passed, taxes will go up.

With the massive growth Wake County is experiencing, roads and utilities are overburdened and the government is questioning who should pay. Should new developments pay for utility expansion or should everyone pay for the utilities (through higher taxes) because everyone uses water/sewer etc.

I'm not trying to tell you to stay away from Raleigh/Wake County, but I'm sure when you contacted the school system they didn't tell you anything negative about it.

For 1/2 acre, you'll need to find an older neighborhood or move to somewhere in 'the country' maybe Garner. Most new developments have minimum lot sizes.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:30 AM
bonniebroad

Melissa, look into the Springdale neighborhoods, right across from the Leesville schools (3 of them) in North Raleigh. Any Raleigh realtor will know exactly where you're talking about. Especially Springdale Estates, the oldest neighborhood, has big lots - mostly over 1/2 acre to 3 acres), homes range in the $250K (a few) to over a million range. Gorgeous, with huge trees, beautiful landscaping, has a small lake. We love the area ...

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:51 AM

I grew up and went to private school in Raleigh (10-15 years ago) - specifically for the reason that the public schools in town were not good enough, or would require a long bus trip everyday to the magnet high school that, at least at that time, was a tenuous mix of have (the magnet kids) and have nots. Also, when I was in school, the Wake County public school system bussed more than any other county in the U.S. I don't know if that's still the case, but many parents don't like that. Think about that in addition to ncgrrl's comments.

I'm sure that many Raleigh schools are much better than they used to be - Raleigh Charter (not in existence when I was in school) and Enloe (the magnet school) are in the top 100.

It will depend on your child's needs. Are you moving because he's gifted or because he's challenged? Either way, there will be certain Raleigh schools that are better than others, and unless those schools are magnet schools, you'll likely have to either live in the school district OR at least close enough that bussing or other transportion are not a nightmare. Be really careful about determining the school district - I know that last year there was a huge problem because the lines were redrawn and some families that had specifically moved to be in the new HS's district were told that they weren't anymore.

There are houses with half acre lots in all parts of Wake County - but for some areas you may to search harder and pay a lot more for them. I'm really fond of North Raleigh, and that could put you in the Leesville Road or Wakefield school systems.

Good luck.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 06:39 AM

I agree check out what is in the newspapers about the Wake county school system.

Last year the Wake county sheriff dept. had to put into place a new and improved gang unit to deal with the school alone.

Ten years ago Wake county was thought of as getting bad. It has only gotten worse.

If you can afford private well then you have some great options. Cardinal and Ravenscroft are great schools.

Personally if I had to send a child to school and had to send them to public in Raleigh area I would possibly think about moving.

For Charter in NC I'd never think about. Again read the papers and do your research.

NC just struggles with education. It is really sad. I think they are taking the right steps to make it better. But, it is unfortunate because many kids are having to go to school while they try to make it better.