Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

American Airlines...actually giving above and beyond CS!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing some research and realizing my breakfast in paris on my way to Granada spain would not work out because of the new security restrictions, I bit the bullet and bought a new ticket on a US Air Flight to Madrid.

In doing so, I knew I would get nailed for the 200 cancellation fee, with an additional limit on my voucher to where I can fly with my original carrier, American.

So, I call today and simply state that I wanted to cancel my ticket because I got a better deal (on another airline to boot)with better flight times.

Without any prodding, the CS says "Honey, I am going to give you a unrestricted voucher."

Thinkng that was way to nice, I thanked the lady and then she shocked me and said "You know what, I am going to give you the full fare as well."

Confused I said "You mean the 636, correct." She said, "no, the full fare, 836 being these terrorists have messed with so many peoples air travel."

My proverbial jaw hit the ground. In no way was my cancellation because of this, in fact, in five days I will be drinking sangria and watching the sunset over the Ahlambra. Of course, I thanked her for nearly every second remaining in the call.

For all the troubles we each have had at one point in time with airlines, I thought I would share this story of an airline which stepped when unprovoked.

My hats off to AA and to my new favorite CS rep.

Anyone else have similar luck like this?
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 03:37 AM

I usually always do. Unfailingly, I get a CS person who works like crazy to get my mileage upgrades as close as possible to my desired dates & when there have been problems, AA has always been very generous with vouchers, etc.
That isn't everyone's experience but it has been mine which is why I'm very loyal to AA.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 06:40 AM
rex

Well, I had a different experience with AA (in their defense it was Amercian Eagle) - - (and it was in the Caribbean)...

...but I won't harp on that.

I believe in topping positive posts. So thumbs way up for your CS representative and to you for reporting it here.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:19 AM
DAX

In my experience, AA staff tries a lot harder than United Airlines whether in freq flier mileage reservation or on board. The only pain about AA is I can't fly non-stop to Europe from Northern California so I find myself still flying United otherwise I'd rather fly AA.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:24 AM

While AA usually has staff that go above and beyond (does it help to have silver Elite FF status? I think so...,) our most recent experience with lost luggage has not given us a good experience. Even with increased security, they cannot tell us if our bags got on board the plane at our departure destination. I thought that the plane would be held up if bags did not match up to an on-board passenger? Their tracking system is antiquated -- you long for FedEx.