shore excursions in the caribbean

Old May 4th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shore excursions in the caribbean

we are planning a 50th wedding anniversary 7 night caribbean cruise for 13 people: 2 seniors, eight between 35-50, two 9 year olds and an 18 year old. we need to know which shore excursions have worked for others and when not wanting to take an excursion, which cities should we avoid.

thanks in advance.
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:01 AM

It all depends on your interests, and you'll get many different advises. For example, most people will suggest to avoid Jamaica, but we always had great times in both Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. You are the one who holds the best answer, but you need to do a massive research. Check what's offered by cruise line, they always have description on their websites. Also I saw a very useful site someone posted here a while ago, it was ports.com or something. Good site is www.epinions.com.
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:07 AM

That is a vague post. Eastern or Western Caribbean? Sounds a little like a family cruise we organized 2 years ago. The younger kids took turns with the seniors, who did better on air conditioned bus tours than beach outings. Another option is one of the glass bottom boats. I might get flamed here, but I avoid getting off the ship in Nassau. I've sen too many people get pickpocketed and robbed, even close to the ship. In Jamaica, many people are hounded by peddlers and people trying to sell drugs. St Thomas is kind of dangerous in spots- although when you get off the ship, it's just massive shopping stores. We prefer to take a ferry over to quieter St John. The young kids would enjoy snorkeling there or at Chakanaab Park in Cozumel. I can give you more ideas if you'll give us your itinerary.
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Suerich68

LLindaC,

St. Thomas has great shopping, been there a couple of times & never felt unsafe. St. John is the most boring island in the world, unless you only want to be on a beach (in that case, why cruise?).

There is a lot of crime on any of the poor islands (which is most of them); the BVI are lovely & very safe.

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:37 AM

I don't feel unsafe in the shopping areas, but the crime rate on St Thomas is very high. You think St John is boring? Are you kidding? It's absolutely gorgeous- beautiful white sand beaches, great hiking trails, good snorkeling, a few great restaurants. I guess boring is what boring does or doesn't do, but I like nature, not jewelry stores. You say "why take a cruise?" Cruising gives you the option of seeing beaches and natural wonders all over. In St Martin, we escaped the crowds and ferried to pristine Anguilla. I hate shopping and tourist traps and the mobs of cruisers. If you use your imagination you can find out of the way adventures in gorgeous spots. Yes, the BVIs are very safe and very beautiful as well.