Search

South Africa Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Africa Honeymoon

Does anyone have any thoughts on Londolozi Game Reserve in Sabi Sabi? We are staying there for 4 nights during our honeymoon in July/August at the Bateleur Camp. Additionally, we are going to be staying at Le Quartier Francais in the wine country, Cape Grace in Cape Town, Tsala Treetops Lodge, and doing a night on the Blue Train. Any thoughts on these choices or recommendations for particular rooms/requests at each property would be appreciated.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 10:25 PM

ElliotNYC,

Congrats on your wedding.

My only thoughts are that you are going to have a most incredible honeymoon if you stay at all of the places that you have mentioned. There is no need to worry about room placements anywhere as the establishments that you have chosen are all top notch and no matter what you are allocated room wise, all will be excellent.

One small piece of advice is do not hide the fact that you are on honeymoon from any of the places that you are staying. The fact that they know that you are on honeymoon will improve your stay at all the establishments, that is if it is possible to improve because as already mentioned generally they all produce a top class stay no matter what.

Enjoy yur honeymoon and our country when you visit us.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 10:38 PM

Hi Elliot,

Congrats on your Honeymoon! Africa seems to be the next big thing for honeymoons! I have a question for you too.... is it true that Londolozi doesn't offer any low season rates anymore?

Melissa
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 02:57 AM

Hi Melissa and Eric,

I believe that is true, that Londolozi offer no seasonal rates for 2006.

Kind regards,
Kaye
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 03:00 AM

Hi Melissa and Eric again,

Yes, I just had a quick look at their website and it is listed as non seasonal for 2006. I was at Bateleur in December 2005 and in July 2006 will be at both Pioneer and Founders.

Kind regards,
Kaye
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Hi Kaye,

That's a shame.... the low season rates at Londolozi make it a great deal. We were happy that Phinda Forest still offers low season rates (but probably not for long).

Best,
Melissa
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Hello Elliott,

Congratulations on your wedding! Your honeymoon itinerary sounds wonderful. Definite treat yourself to a dinner at The Tasting Room at LQF -- some of the best food I've ever eaten, and I've eaten at some of the best restaurants in the world.

Tsala Treetops has some of the most romantic accommodation I've ever seen.

Londolozi is a brilliant reserve with superb guiding and game-viewing. I've stayed there several times (at Bateleur Camp and Tree Camp) and I am returning this year and staying at Pioneer Camp. Four nights is just about ideal. I particularly like Bateleur because it has private plunge pools for all the rooms, not just the suites.

Presuming you want maximum privacy, I would recommend rooms 3 or 4 or if they are not available rooms 5, 9, or 10. If you prefer to be more in the centre of the action, rooms 7 and 8 are best.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Melissa, I believe that Londolozi still has seasonal rates, but simply does not advertise them. I worked with CC Africa, and they gave me a much better deal than what I believe are advertised on the website. I'm fairly sure they are just not advertising the rates to give themselves some flexibility when they get that odd week in Winter that is particularly popular.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great thoughts. Do you have any thoughts on hotels in Johannesburg? I've narrowed my choices down to 3: The Saxon, The Westcliff, and the Grace. I'm wondering if the Saxon is worth the significant extra cost over the other two? It's running about $650 per night compared to about $250 for the others.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Elliott,

I vote for none of the above, especially if you are only visiting for a single night, but even if you are visiting for 2+ nights.

Instead, I would highly recommend the Michelangelo Hotel or Michelangelo Towers. This will put you right in the middle of the action of Sandton Square, just as you will be in the middle of the action for your Cape Town visit by staying at the Cape Grace.

I LOVE the breakfast buffet at the Michelangelo, and your very best dining, shopping and entertainment experiences will be right in Sandton Square within walking distance.

I stayed two nights in a Premier Suite at the Michelangelo in June 2003 and loved it. Here is a link that shows its excellent location in Sandton Square:

http://www.legacyhotels.co.za/content.aspx?c=28&h=1

Congratulations on your honeymoon. You have picked some excellent properties and a wonderful overall itinerary.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 12:49 AM

Hi Melissa and Eric,

I also have received better rates than posted on their website, but that is a longer stay with CCA properties. I also have dealt directly with them, and I was told Londolozi is non seasonal for 2006. I would be very surprised if someone was offered low season rates, and others were not.

On the rooms at Bateleur, I believe I stayed in Room No. 10 and I would absolutely not recommend it, especially when I am lead to believe that other chalet rooms are larger - the room was, to me, unusually tiny!

Kind regards,
Kaye
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 02:16 AM

Hello,

I have pics of the rooms I have stayed in at Londoz. If you'd like to see them, please drop me an email.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Hi Kaye,

I bet you are right about the discount being for the 4 night stay rather than a "low season" discount. But either way, it's a great deal! Does anyone on this thread have suggestions for specific rooms to request at Phinda Forest or Sandibe? Are they all pretty much the same? Thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi All, I think I goofed in my posting on seasonal rates at Londolozi. I was given a slightly lower rate than the posted, but it was because we are staying for 4 nights instead of 3. The range I see on the websites dictates type of room, not seasonality, as I had first suspected. All said, I still think Londolozi is a good deal compared to Singita rates.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,

I'm thinking of extending my stay at Tsala Treetops to 2 nights and cutting my Cape Grace stay to 3 nights. Would you all advocate this idea?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I think staying one night at any hotel is tough because you barely get settled and then you are leaving. That being said, we are staying four nights at the Cape Grace and from my research I've found about 10 days of great stuff to do in Cape Town, so giving up a night there is a tough choice... I don't know what there is to do at the Tsala Treetops, but there seems to be so much to do in Cepe Town!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 12:35 PM

ummm ... that was supposed to be "Cape Town" not "Cepe Town" or "Crepe Town"
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 12:39 PM

ElliotNYC,

I think that your 3 day Cape Grace/2 day Tsala idea is a very good one. Be aware that your agent more than likely will tell you the same for possibly other reasons in that he/she is going to make more commission off your stay
Read further..

While in Cape Town you will have 3 days available to see the city. Seeing that you will be spending time in the winelands this means that you can dedicate 3 full days to Cape Town and even though many more visiting days in Cape Town would never go to waste 3 days certainly would be enough time in my opinion to see most of my city. Please bear in mind that the present Cape Grace offer of 4 nights for 3 will only come to an end after 31 August. http://www.capegrace.com/special/default.asp?refId=3 This means that if you take the 3 night Grace/2 night Tsala deal, as I see matters, you will be paying for 3 nights and losing out on the extra night which in turn will cost you an extra night at Tsala. Thus financially this does not make sense. With that said all depends on your pocket and maybe in this regard you might not be bothered, after all honeymoons only come around once to most.

Assuming the latter concept then I would definitely take the 2 night deal at Tsala. Make no error the Grace is a wonderful place to stay and I would normally advocate a 4 day stay but then Tsala is absolutely wonderful too. I know the Grace exceptionally well and have stayed at Tsala on many occasions in the past and make no error it is absolutely wonderful too. In terms of staying at Tsala on honeymoon I dont think that there are many places that can beat this venue for this type of occasion. In the past while staying with visitors at Tsala I have had single, double and triple night excursions at the establishment. Without fail all who had a single overnight experience wished that they had an extra night at the venue. Those who spent 2 or 3 nights were very happy that they did so.

There is much to do in the surrounding areas when at Tsala however you might well forego all of the "to see stuff" and just laze around in your treehouse which is absolutely fabulous.

In summary if finances dont come into play then I would definitely suggest the Tsala 2 day option. If finances do come into play then I would still consider the Tsala 2 day stay but could well lean towards the Cape Grace 4 dayer if finances are pinching.

Hopes this helps you in making your decision however I want to reiterate that looking at your overall itinerary in my opinion you have a magnificent honeymoon ahead of you.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! This is really useful. The other option would be to cut my stay at Le Quartier Francais to 2 nights instead of 3 and tack on an extra Tsala night. Do you think it better to give up a night at the Cape Grace or a night at LQF?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Hello,

I'd definitely recommend giving up a night at the Cape Grace rather than a night at LQF, particularly if you or your fiancee love food and wine. The Cape Winelands are home to some of the best restaurants in SA, and you'll have problems narrowing down your choices even with three nights! The winelands are really best enjoyed at a lesiurely pace, allowing you to savour the wine and the lovely countryside.

Cheers,
Julian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -