Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy in August...will everything be closed for the holiday month?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

My husband and I are considering a 2 week trip to Italy in August, but I know that practically everyone in Italy (and much of Europe for that matter) takes the month off for holiday. I've heard that many restaurants, hotels, etc. can be closed during that time. Would love to have opinons of those who have traveled there in August or live there. thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:19 PM

We tend to avoid August in Italy as it can be very hot and humid, especially in the south. We were in Sorrento and Rome one August and found everything open in Sorrento but quite a few shops in Rome closed. I was very tempted to stick my head in the Trevi fountain to cool down.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In Venice everything appeared open (two visits, both in August), I guess maybe being such a big tourist city. But it was hot hot hot.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:20 PM

In fact, most things will be open - although some small family restaurants and businesses may be closed.

The issues are:

1) everything will be mobbed with vacationers and you'll be paying prime prices for most things and shuffing along with the crowds

2) it will likely be hot as hell (95 and humid) - and many things - including many shops, restaurants and hotels do not have AC

This is not something I would do voluntarily if you could possibly go at any other time of year.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:31 PM

Not everything will be closed. Major sites will be very much open. It will be hot and yes you will need A/C and there are plenty of hotels which are air conditioned.

I've been to Italy in August several times. It didn't seem any more crowded than it has in June or July in the larger cities.

If you plan accordingly you should have a great visit.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:01 PM

You could focus on mountainous and countryside and coastal areas, rather than the cities.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:07 PM

Hi cotesdurhone, every Italian that can will leave and go to the mountains or the seaside in August. But that does not mean Italy is closed down.

But yes it will be very hot and very humid. Are you going to have a car? If so the Dolomites are a wonderful place to be in August. Cool fresh mountain air etc. The seaside can be very crowded.

Regarding summer in Italy. An Italian friend of mine has to have a nonemergency operation. She is on the waiting list. If she does not get scheduled by the end of May she will have to wait until after the beginning of September as she said that all medical people that can want to get out of the cities during the hot and humid weather. So only emergency operations are done.

But if you can tolerate very hot and very humid weather and know how to handle it you can still have a good trip. And unlike years ago more and more places are open in August so you will not have a big problem that way.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Here's my question (not that I have a trip planned for this time, I'm just curious.)

Anyone who's lived in, say Central or South Florida (away from the beaches) Is the August weather in Rome comparable? Better? Worse?

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Rome is not nearly as bad as Florida in August, but it can be pretty bad if you want to do sightseeing. Depends on the year. Florence is much hotter than Rome, but still not as bad as Florida on average. But, again, we're talking averages--your year could be pretty average, or very hot, or cool.

Keep in mind that it's one thing to live in hot place and go from air conditioned house to AC car to AC office and vice versa. It's quite another to want to be out and about sightseeing.

Of course, if you have to go in August, there are a lot of ways to deal with the heat.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Neopolitan

To answer the question about those who live in Florida -- I do and I've also traveled extensively in Italy during August. Is it unbearably hot there? Yes, and the difference is I'd never think of wandering around the streets of Naples, Florida looking at things. But in Italy I do, so it bothers me more than at home where I live, shop, drive, and do everything in air conditioning. The best bet is to find an air conditioned museum or inside attraction in the heat of the afternoon, or return to your AC hotel and relax or nap. The evenings are glorious and so are the early mornings.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your comments and insights! Very much apprecited. We will have a car and love the countryside/mountains so it sounds doable. Unfortuantley this is the only month my husband can travel due to his work schedule and he has always wanted to go to Italy (he's Italian). I've been before but always look forward to returning. thanks again.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:05 AM

I can empathize with you and your husband. Mrs. Fly is a teacher, so our travel times are limited by the necessities of the school year.