How much time in Prague & Krakow?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip in September and are trying to figure out the optimal time to spend in Prague & Krakow. (Using air miles so I'm hoping to get this determined quickly as you never know how flexible the airlines can be on these things.) I've always wanted to visit both these places (plus at least a day additional in each country for side trips to Auschwitz & Salt Mines in Poland, Cesky Krumlov or similar in Cz; plan on taking the train from Pr. to Kr.). This is our first visit to Central Europe and our eyes will be wide, I'm sure! I know this is a subjective question, but we would love your opinions on allocating time. Initial thought is 4 nights Prague, 4 Krakow (flying into Prague, out of Krakow)... For reference, we're in our early 30s, not huge on tours (but in reviewing other posts on these trips, seems like a few are worth it), nor are we big on museum hopping, but we do like the historical sites and especially love 'hanging out' soaking up the local scene and culture (in a coffee shop or pub, et al). Thanks in advance for your thoughts (we've never gone wrong with Fodorite advice yet)!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Seems as though you got a good fix on it all - i might take one less day from Krakow - much smaller town - salt mines half day at most and just a few miles away. Lots of neat day trips from Prague - Karlstejn - great fortress of Charles IV and Crown Jewels; Kutna Hora, the silver town with the infamous Bone Church and Ceske Budejovice - home of Budweiser beer and brewery tour and Ceske Krumlov - nearby but these two are a few hours away - consider staying overnight in Ceske Budejovice and seeing both - C Budejovice is really nice, Krumlov even nicer - have to pass thru C Budej to get to Krumlov.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Point of reference questions. What time do you arrive/depart Prague? I'm guessing you will have 3 full days to visit Prague. Have a nice trip!!! Mike
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! When would you suggest overnighting in CK, mid-Prague or at the end of our time there? If the latter, does it make the trip (directly) to Krakow more painful (e.g., I imagine this involves a bus back to Prague timed right to hit the train)?
Re: arrival time, I don't have the tix yet, but I'm guessing we'll get into Prague after 5pm and will have to depart Krakow early in the a.m. (So I'm now thinking 3, max 4, full days in Poland - 2 plus in Krakow itself, balance in Ausch. and salt mines, 3 to 4 full days in Prague plus overnighting in C. Krumlov - and checking out C. Bud. during this time -due to all the favorable comments about it).
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:54 PM

We just spent 3 nights in Krakow and it seemed about right. Be advised the Auschwitz/Birkenau tour takes virtually the whole day (we left at 9:15 am and got back to Krakow at 4:15 pm). The A/B tour is worth every second you spend there. I don't know if I'd want to fit in another tour the same day as A/B even if you could work the time in.
On our trip, we spent a day just wandering the area around the old town/Main Market, then A/B, then the Jewish quarter and again the Main Market area and a dinner with music in the Jewish quarter.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:24 PM

BTilke,

We'll be in Krakow for 3 nights early April. Our plan sounds like yours. The A/B tour... we plan to take a bus and do it ourselves, possible even walk to Birkenau from Auschwitz - which to me seems like something that feels right to do. Still, there's easy transport between the towns even if we don't do a Tour?