San Antonio restaurants

Search

San Antonio restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio restaurants

Based on the reviews I have seen on these boards, I have made reservation for these restaurants: Boudros, Biga on the Banks, La Fonda on Main.
Good choices? I almost travel to eat--like fresh, flavorable food first and a nice atmosphere doesn't hurt. What do you think?
If I added one more, what would it be?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 08:44 AM
J62

Went to Biga last summer

+ excellent food and attentive, quality service.

- atmosphere: we went early (6pm?) on a Tue, so the place was dead. Also, while technically on the rivewwalk, it is off the main part far towards the other end, so there is no lively neighborhood feel either. The dining room sits one level above the riverwalk, behind glass windows.

Part of what I enjoy about SA is being part of the crowd - not immersed in a crush of bodies, but not so quiet you can hear a pin drop.

Perhaps Bigas picks up later in the eve or on weekends.

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 08:59 AM

For best French, La Reve.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:53 AM

You should do fine at all three, and have a nice array of different types of dining. Of your list, my least favorite but still not a bad place is Biga. The last couple times I was there the pretense factor was high and the food was OK but not great and the service mediocre at best. If you want a really top notch meal along the same "haute foodie" lines but without the pretentiousness, try The Lodge in Castle Hills - be sure to reserve ahead, though.
And agree tht La Reve is outstanding French - consistently great if you like French food.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 08:37 AM

I enjoyed Boudros food so much I went back two days in a row for lunch. It has a nice enough atmosphere inside, but what is ideal is to sit outside on the River Walk. If it is chilly they have heat lamps and ponchos.

If you want good Mexican food and margaritas I recommend Rosario's. (We asked at thr restaurant for recommendations for good Mexican and this is what they said - River Walk area restaurants didn't meet their definition of Mexican). The food is fresh; restaurant is modern and cavernous with huge glass windows, flourescent lights. It's two miles from main part of River Walk, but the trolley goes right by it (and announces it as there is usually a group of people who get off there).
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Oops - I meant to say that we asked at the hotel for recommendations