Papal Blessing - How long does it last?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone happen to know how long the Papal blessing actually lasts?

I am working on mapping out the the logistics of moving from the Vatican (after we are blessed), back to the hotel (to pick up bags) and then off to the train station to head off to Venice.

From the Trenitalia schedule, it appears that the 12:55 or 16:55 trains or good options. Is it pushing it too much to try to catch the 12:55 train?

Thanks!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Do you mean the Wed morning audience? I went to one in 2004 (with JP II) and it lasted about an hour and a half as I recall, maybe a little longer. It takes a while to get out of there after it's over too because of the crowds. The buses are jam packed. I suspect the 12:55 would be a close call, depending on where your hotel is.

It's possible (and I don't mean this in disrespect) that the crowds wouldn't be AS big with Benedict. JP II was just so popular, and there were so many youth groups at the audience I attended. About half of St Peter's Square was full (and that's a big square). What took so long at the one I went to is the fact that a greeting and blessing is given in the appropriate language for every country/language group represented, and each group's name is called out. Many groups take the opportunity to sing a little song when their name is called. That day there were many different language groups represented.

It was a great experience and I'm glad I went. It was pure accident; the place I was staying gave out tickets at breakfast (a convent hotel). It so happened the ticket I got was for the seating section next to where the Pope was. Big shock when I arrived and asked a Swiss Guard where I was supposed to go and he pointed me up there!

Have Fun!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM

I should think his blessing would last a lifetime.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Your lifetime or his???
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Hmm...to think that I didn't even consider the potential expiration date of the aforementioned blessing... It will bounce off of me to the worthy anyway.

Thanks so much for the answer. I will plan for the late afternoon train.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Actually Benedict has been getting record crowds - more than JPII. Here's a short note from a Catholic news blog from January on it, first thing I could find:

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/blog/?p=5
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 01:18 PM

In case you might like to listen to know what to expect, you can do so here:

http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/...Papal+Audience
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Surely it lasts an eternity. (Or perhaps it just seems like it.)
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 02:14 PM

If it doesn't come with a Plenary Indulgence attached you get your money back.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:09 AM

There are a number of occasions that the Pope gives a public blessing. What days will you be in Rome?

The Wednesday audience is one. You need tickets to get a seat for this audience and as has been pointed out you will miss the early train. The Pope blesses the crowd around 12.00.

Another option would be if you are in Rome on the Sunday morning before that - the Pope blesses the crowd in St Peter's Square at mid-day.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Depends on how many languages the current Pope gives his blessing in.....we went to the Wednesday morning outdoor one with JPII and stayed till the bitter end, including seeing him go right by us in the "popemobile" .. it took basically all morning. We just had enough time afterward to get to the meeting place for our ScalaReale/Context Rome Vatican Tour which began around 1pm. Of course, you can choose to leave whenever you need to go.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 01:22 PM

eliztrav --

This sounds like our schedule the Wed we're there. Papal audience followed by 1 pm Context Tour Arte Vaticana. What did you do about lunch? Should we buy sandwiches on route and eat in line waiting to get into the Vatican? How did you manage since the CR tour is l-o-n-g?
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Neopolitan

How long does the Papal blessing last? Usually it wears off after a few days, depending upon how good or bad you are!

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Until you sin.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:59 PM

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. About 37,000 people in the audience. They (the priest and nun where we picked up our tickets) said Benedict is drawing huge crowds because he is new, and he hasn't traveled much. It lasted about 2 hours, including the time for him to go around to the people up front (which included us...we got to take his hand!!!!). We got in line at security around 7 am. It is a LOT of standing until you actually get to your seats. Be sure to bring an umbrella for shade, as well as sunscreen.

You definitely need to consider time to get out of the crowd...I wouldn't try to catch a 12:55 train, unless you were willing to leave early.

Anne