Booking Train Travel

Search

Booking Train Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booking Train Travel

I am arriving in Frankfurt on April 16 (Easter Sunday) and need to take the train to Munich. This will be one of only two train tickets I will be needing during this trip, so I don't think a German Rail Pass is my best option. I will rent a car the rest of the time.

I have a few questions about booking the train ticket:

1) How much time should I allow to claim baggage, clear customs, and get to the train station at the Frankfurt airport? I don't want to rush.

2) If I buy my train ticket online, and find that my flight is delayed, will I have to buy another train ticket or can I use the same ticket to board a different train? Will I have to exchange it before boarding the train?

3) For a party of two, is there any way to save money on these tickets over buying them directly online?

4) Should I go ahead and book a seat reservation at the same time I purchase the ticket? I'm wondering if trains will be full or empty on Easter Sunday.

p.s.- In case you are wondering why I didn't just fly into Munich, it's because I'm using frequent flyer miles and the flight to Munich was not available.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:10 AM
ira

Hi V,

1. 2-2:30 hr At worst you will have to sit and have a light lunch while waiting for the train.

2. If it is just a regular train, No. Your ticket is good for all of them. If it is a special, high-speed train, you will have to pay for a change of seat reservation.

3. Not that I am aware of.

4. Reservation is only about 3E. If you miss your train, you can buy another seat reservation, if available.

Hope this helps.

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Yes, that was very helpful! Thanks!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:10 AM

Until dec 12, 2005 people buying tickets in Germany at the station could pay 1/2 for the second person after the first paid full fare. this has ended because strangers were buying tickets together - The Deutsche Bahn apparently is now limiting the 2nd person for 50% to internet purchases so that may be the cheapest way to go.
Also in recent weeks special surcharges for many ICE high-speed trains have been imposed so reservations on these trains, with a regular ticket, could be much higher than 3 euros.
I'd just wait until getting to Frankfurt, unless you can actually get the 50% for 2nd person ticket online, if you can change the reservation for only a minor fee as should be the case

otherwise with 1 or 2 trains an hour you'll probably be able to board without reservations and find seats - especially in first class. I rode many German ICEs in December and in first class none were full.
The train station in Frankfurt Airport is about a 15-minute walk from Customs exit - there are two stations - the regional station with S-bahn and local trains into Frankufurt itself and other nearby towns, and the Fernbahnhof (long-distance) station where you'll want to head for direct Munich trains - this station is further away than the older regional train station.
As they say in Germany, have a Gut Fahrt (good ride)!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

PalQ,

Thanks for the reply. I checked their website again, and it appears that there is no discount for purchasing 2 tickets. 1 ticket 2nd class was 75 Euros, while 2 tickets was 150 Euros.

It looked like the only discount available was with the BahnCard, but I didn't see any details on how to obtain one of these.

I'm not the "wing it" type, so I'll probably go ahead and just book online.

Also, there was no mention of the cost for a reservation. Perhaps those details are explained as you get further into the purchase process.

Is there a vast difference between 1st and 2nd class? I traveled in 2nd class throughout Spain some years ago and found 2nd class to be quite comfortable. The difference in fare is 75 Euros for 2nd class vs. 118 Euros for 1st class. Is it worth the extra 43 Euros per person?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:52 AM

Online booking should include the reservation fee

BahnCard costs quite a bit - thus not worth effort for two trips

Yes there is quite a difference but not so much in Germany between classes as in other countries - plus you'll have a reserved seat - a major plus of first class is that if you don't have a reservation you'll most likely find empty seats in first class and often not so many in second. I'd go second class in Germany though there is a difference.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:55 AM

Second class is fine. On the big intercity trains, I couldn't see any difference between 1st and 2d, except that first had more seats available. With a reservation, that won't make any difference for you. We always use 2d class in Germany and in Switzerland.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:19 PM

vegaslocal,

I would wait until Frankfurt and buy your tickets there. Trains to Munich run every hour. If you purchase second class tickets, you might want to reserve your seats as they might be busy on that day. (doubtful you would need reservations for first class as PalQ mentioned.)

The seats in first class are usually nicer, and it is more relaxed. Second class gives you a chance to meet more people who are more likely to chat with you. Have fun.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:36 PM

Vegaslocal-

The reservation fees don't show up until further into the purchasing process. You have a choice whether to reserve a seat or not.

Ira (or anyone else?)-

I am also flying into Frankfurt and taking a train to Munich. The plane is supposed to land in Frankfurt at 7:10 a.m. and the train I booked leaves at 8:54 a.m. If I only have carryon luggage, do you think I will have enough time?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:43 PM

If the plane is on time you'll be twiddling your thumbs at the train station.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 01:24 PM
ira

>If the plane is on time you'll be twiddling your thumbs at the train station.<

If the plane is late, you will be standing on line hoping to be able to get seats on another train.

I'd rather sit in the cafe and wait for the train.

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

You've all been just great! Thanks for the help. I will probably go ahead and book online, in 2nd class, with a reserved seat. But, I think I'll wait until about 4 weeks before the trip to book. Thanks again!

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 01:27 PM
ira

Hi V,

I suggest 60 days in advance. If there are any special offers, they will sell out quickly.

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 01:29 PM

PalQ-

Thanks for the response. I would rather have extra time than be rushed. I was hoping we would be able to grab something to eat before getting on the train.

Jennifer
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:22 PM

I would also advise that - there is a shopping mall in the airport with restaurants and even a large supermarket to stock up on beverages, etc. for the train trip.
i didn't mean to convey OKing any plan for that tight a plane-train connection but was just answering how quick it could be if they plane were on time - and i wouldn't bet on that. There not much at the actual airport train station save a chic-looking coffeeshop but you'll find several restaurants in the airport shops area - including of course a McDonald's (or is it a Burger King or both) in case you want some cheap $1 caffeine fix before hitting the $3-4 cups of coffee in restaurants.
(The article i read, in a UK train magazine which keeps up on all such things, definitely say the German Railways were continuing the 50% 2nd ticket scheme but only via the internet. It must be some site other than the official www.bahn.de site - or maybe the policy was totally ended - the rail mag was printed in October 2005 when they said how it would be available only on internet after Dec 12, 2005.)
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the 50% offer must have ended completely. I'm using the url www.bahn.de.

Try it for yourself. If I'm doing something incorrectly, I'd sure like to know so I can get the discount!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 07:36 AM

It's apparent that the bahn site won't let you do it - i tried too. So i don't know - must have changed.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:37 AM

"Travel together and save altogether! Up to 4 accompanying passengers may travel with you for half the price with our saving prices or a BahnCard. No matter whether you travel with your family or friends - if you travel together, you will save."

The above comes off the bahn site but i can't find how up to 4 passengers traveling with you go at half price with the so called 'savings prices' - site says "or with BahnCard" so don't need bahn card to get savings prices apparently. ?????????

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for trying PalQ. That was very nice of you. Having worked for a large website before, my best guess is that the folks who write the text are not aware that the folks who control the booking engine have removed the discount feature. Happens all the time! Brings back memories.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 01:59 PM

I am purchasing 4 tickets from Rostock to Berlin, r/t, and am not finding a cheaper fare for purchasing 4 together. I believe that BahnCard special was only until Dec 10, 2005. However, if you are purchasing more than 6, there is apparently a 60%-70% ticket savings. Wish I knew 2 more people going at the same time as me.

There's also something called a Weltmeistre BahnCard 25, which can be had for 19 euros, valid now until July 31, 2006. It's special for the World Cup, and validity is extended based on Germany's performance in said World Cup. I'm interested in purchasing this card for my travels this summer, but am wondering...does anyone know if I could travel with 4 people on this special BahnCard? The savings is substantial if I get a BahnCard, roughly 64 euros roundtrip for the 4 of us.

Here's the link in English http://tinyurl.com/h33x5
More info is available in German, and unfortunately I have zero command of the German language.

Can anyone help? Thanks!