Search

Help. Visiting Greek Isles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help. Visiting Greek Isles

Hi
My husband and I will be visiting some Greek Isles in mid April. We realize they are all rich in history, but we want to visit the most historic, perhaps isles off the beaten path, beautiful villages, seaside taverns and places only locals know about. Which islands should we consider? We only have 12 days.

Thanks
Perri
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 05:29 PM

12 days gives you a reasonable time to visit Athens and 2-3 islands. Start off with Crete. Fly or take the ferry to Chania and make your way east to Heraklion. From there you can go north to the Cyclades islands or northeast to Rhodes and the Dodecanese islands. If you choose the Cyclades, be sure to visit the village of Oia on Santorini.

http://www.travelling-greece.com/dodecanese/

http://www.travelling-greece.com/cyclades/

Aegean Airlines is having an airfare sale that would simplify your plans and make the best of your time.

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 06:31 PM

I agree with Brotherlee love (and its not because I am merely a Humanone). Fly from Athens to Crete (although I think Heraclion is the best first site because you can visit the archeological museum before going to Knossos and Chania (my favorite Greek big town). Then catch a boat to Santorini (schedules at the port) to see the most beautiful island and the other major Minoan site (an average town partially excavated in contrast to the restored palace at Knossos). Then you can catch other boats to islands of your choice. But with 12 days I'd just do Crete and Santorini, both of which have roads and villages and taverns and village life that only locals know about.. Rent a car on both islands in order to see those off the beaten path villages. If you see the corny teen movie "the sisterhood of the traveling pants" you will see Santorini. We even rented a hotel room just like the house her family lived in. I'm planning a trip to Morocco, but you have me visualizing Greece, so now I may just go back again. Chania, Oia, the ruins of Thera, oh my!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the help. I just rented Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants from Netflix so I can see Santorini.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:23 PM

"Summer Lovers" was also shot there.