Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Il Latini, Florence. Worth waiting in line for?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not the sort of person who likes waiting in line for a restaurant table unless it is something very special. By all reports this Florence "institution" is just that, but really how good is it? Is it because it is cheap, is it because the food is fantastic or is it because along with the Uffizi and the David, it is just one of those places in Florence you must experience. I am not that anxious to wait in line if I then have to sit with a whole lot of other tourists, but then if this place is good it might be worth it. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:25 PM

No, it is not good food. A lot of people will argue with me, but I don't care, it's just not delicious. A native warned me. I went to lunch anyways. I was unimpressed. Dinner time is the "stand in line" time. Based on the lunch I had, I'd never return.

Conversely, for good food I like,

Trattoria Il Caminetto
Via dello Studio, 34r (Piazza Duomo) tel. 055.2396274

Al lume di candela – Firenze – Via delle Terme, 23r – tel 055 294566 (More upscale)

and a little bit off the beaten path I LOVE the food at:

IL GIOVA: Borgo La Croce 73 - Firenze
Telefono: 055.2480639 Hours: 12:00-14:30 / 19:00-22:00

Their dinner menu is the best. Very small place with just a few tables. We had a bruschetta with about 10 different olive oils, the grilled veges are the best I've had. Buon appetito!

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:49 PM

wantagig

Your recs sound great. How about a general price range for the places you mentioned. Moderate, inexpensive, expensive? I am clipping your list.

DownUnder

I too have avoided Il Latini after many visits to Florence. I don't think it is at all inexpensive. And I stand in line for VERY little. I always tell my husband that maybe I might stand in line to see the Blessed Virgin, but not much else.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM

Hi Tuscanlife:

Il Caminetto is moderate and Trattoria Il Giova is between low and moderate priced. I didn't pay at Al lume di Candela, but I'd guess you're going to spend at least a hundred Euro at dinner for two with a bottle of wine. They do have a menu out front. They're open for lunch too. Even if you're stuffed, order desert. So light and fantastic!

I am so hungry now.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:58 PM

LOL Tuscanlifeedit, I too would stand in line to see the Virgin Mary but that is it.

I will never ever stand in line to get into a restaurant. Never have and never will.

As far as Florence I am so fortunate as I usually have dinner with Italian friends that live in Florence. And if we eat in a restaurant they know the owners and so we do not have to stand in line.

But seriously, I will not stand in line to eat in any restaurant no matter where it is or no matter how fabulous it is suppose to be.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 05:33 AM

When I ate dinner at Il Latini about 5 years ago the only people in the place were tourists. I thought the food was good, but not better than any other place you might walk into in the city. And not inexpensive, just normal pricing for Florence. I would recommend it only to a solo first time visitor to the city who might feel comfortable cause one can sit at long tables with other visitors and share experiences.