Snorkeling in St. Croix

Search

Snorkeling in St. Croix

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling in St. Croix

my teen daugther and I are not the strongest swimmers but want to go snorkeling and feel confident we can handle that. What areas or guided snorkeling trips can anyone suggest?
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Northeast of the capital, Christiansted, is Buck Island Reef National Monument. A number of dive boats go there, and the park has snorkeling trails that you won't want to miss. Buck Island itself is a beautiful island, with talcum-powder sand beaches. I Id'd many reef fish, particularly parrot fish along the snorkeling trails. The guide will excort you along the trails. Large sea turtles, barracuda, eels, and spotted eagle rays also frequent the Buck Island reefs. The north side of St. Croix has an immense wall which drops precipitously to 100 ft. in some places...2,000 ft. in others! Robert
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

I was going to buy a flotation vest for snorkeling to bring with me...are these available over there? How deep is the water on the Buck Island marked trail?
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:35 PM

They should have vests on the boats. Its about 10-15 feet. not to be missed. I'm in st croix right now and surprised at how many people we meet who were not planning to go there.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 11:44 AM

St. Croix tourism people do a horrible job in promoting the island. Love the island and am just amazed how many visitors are unaware of Buck Island, Point Udall, Hams Bluff yadda yadda...
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:30 AM

Jray, so true. I was shocked when mike the captain said its rated top 10 beach by national geographic. I had no idea, I thought it was just a nice place to snorkel.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:43 PM

There is a good site detailing most of the St. Croix beaches. It gives opinions on snorkling, diving, shade, etc.

www.gotostcroix.com/beaches/index.htm
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Good snorkeling at Cane Bay but be sure to enter at the boat launch - my hubby went in at the wrong area and stepped on a sea urchin -- only later did we learn there was one sign noting where you should enter. I suggest they put signs all along the fence which runs by the road -- that's where we parked. Everyone is right - Buck Island is beautiful!!
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Our family loved St. Croix. Our villa overlooked Buck Island. Make sure you make a reservation right away. We were only able to go to Buck Island once because there were not enough people for the trip. The water and beach is beautiful. Rent a car there are many little spots all over the island that have decent snorkeling from shore. A liitle beach right near the Sunset Cafe, good food a a beautiful place to watch the sunset. Don't forget to see all the great historical places the island has to offer as well. My kids loved it..